Customer reviews

Strange Times
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 December 2012
As often happens, this was an album borrowed which became a sound discovered. I'd heard 'Swamp Thing' on local radio (Stockport) and thought it was truly distinct amongst what was about at the time, and on the strength of that thought I would take up a colleague's kind offer to give this a listen. I still listen today (about 14 years on), and every time I do, I think - 'How good would this have been if they'd had a producer who knew how to edit a song before it meanders itself into a corner?'. Still, it is in fact the imperfections that leave it sounding a bit raw, which have you returning time and again to get another adrenaline shot. What I'm saying is perhaps best born out by the song 'Tears'; a quite un-outstanding song in the main album, but a completely different animal in the bonus tracks where an alternative version gives notice of what might have been if they'd known what was their optimum sound (and when and how to finish a song). One last thing: on the fadeout of 'Soul in Isolation', you would swear it was Johnny Marr playing. That's how close the Chameleons came to being colossal.
on 31 October 2015
I first heard a Chameleons song at a party in Germany in 1991: it was Dont Fall and I was immediately thinking that I wanted to know more. In Wilhelmshaven north Germany at the time there was a cd hire shop which opened the door to lots if music for me (they initially hesitated giving me membership me being foreign). I found the album Basically and was lost in the sound of it for the next few days. A few weeks later and back in England, the first thing I did was visit the record shops trying to locate Chaneleons albums. I found Basically and Script of the Bridge in a second hand shop then a few weeks later in another town I came across a fantastic album cover for Strange Times am album that you could say can be judged by its cover. Amazing.whst an album. Oh and the Tony Fletcher album is ahighly recommend I only knew it existed when I wrote to the PO box for the fan club thinking there must be more than 3 chameleons albums??? Sadly not. But I wish I'd kept the personal letter I received from Mark Burgess that pointed me to the Fletcher Ep.......
on 19 January 2013
Much overlooked band, but if you like The Smiths, Joy Division, Echo & The Bunnymen, Lloyd Cole etcetera, then you'll love this band. One of the pioneers of 'that' sound of the early '80's. Check out their other albums too - particularly 'What Does Anything Mean, Basically' - even better!!
on 22 February 2004
By now The Chameleons had develeped their grandiose synth-Symphonies to a Majestical Perfection.This album their 1st for US label Geffen 1986 gives the listener a perfect Brother to the similar styled vein of Killing Jokes's "Night time 1985".Listen to the rollercoaster ride of "caution and "Soul in Isolation" through to the beautiful and very touching "Tears" and you know that Mark Burgess and his men mean Business.Overall this album Gives you The Chameleons at their most Experimental and diversive period. Mancunian synth Rock to Escape to anytime of the day!
THe mid 80's were indeed Strange Times!Enjoy!
on 19 January 2001
The Chameleons sound was now fully developed, designed to be played loud and it needs to be to allow the full volume of music to escape, possibly the most expansive rock sound ever........the soundscape they create takes your breath away. From the sweeping "Caution" and elegantly fragile "Tears" to the searing " Soul in Isolation" and anthemic "Swamp Thing", each track fits seamlessly into the overall majesty of this landmark album.
on 25 July 2000
I think Strange Times is a brilliant album definetly up ther with the likes of sgt. pepper and pet sounds for the sheer invention of each and every track.Its one of musics big tradgedies that the chameleons didnt take off and this (though they didnt know it at the time) would be there swansong (that is until surprisingly reforming this year and releasing the acoustic strip).Every track is a corker with one of the best intros to a song in mad jack and the brilliant melodies of tears but the highlite for me is soul in isolation i remember the frustration of working out the chords for these songs as i failed hopelessly to match the brilliant guitar work,i wanted to be in a band after i heard this i cannot recommend this cd enough one of my all time faves.
on 6 April 2016
Really good album that I bouht "blind" having read a few articles about how under-rated the band were.
on 27 August 2000
In it's own right, the Chameleons' Strange Times release from 1986 has stood the tests of time as remaining my favourite album by any band ever. The album is considered a masterpeice by many, and will take you on a musical journey never before thought possible. Get ready, this album is all over the board, powerful and harsh to slow and melodic, then all over agian. A beautiful rare match of unparalleled songwriting with timeless music. As Mark Burgess says in the liner notes "This album was made to be played loud".
on 30 November 2000
The 'Chameleons' are a little known band from Manchester, who despite having some of the best tunes in the business, have never hit the big time. They're third album 'Strange Times' is a medly of hauntingly, beautiful songs. I can't recommend it enough!
on 27 November 2015
I am a big fan of this band, and I was very happy to receive this cd in such a great quality. Description as indicated by the seller. Highly recommended.