Customer reviews

I Against I
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 31 December 2017
A fantastic album. One that should be habded out to everyone with their birth certifctes!
on 9 September 2003
I've heard quite a few post-punk records in my time but none better than I Against I. Originally released in 1986, it was Bad Brains' bid to draw a line under hell-for-leather punk and go wherever their inclinations took them. The record proves beyond any doubt that their ability more than matched their ambition: if Stevie Wonder, Bob Marley, The Sex Pistols and Jimi Hendrix had got together in the studio, the results would have sounded like I Against I - it's that good.
Using conventional instrumentation, I Against I is slower paced than the Brains' earlier output, leaving room for funky basslines that recall Gang of Four and Fugazi. The guitars yelp their way up and down the scale as though they are almost human, while HR sings in a frequently pained voice that complements the theme of the lyrics: dignity in adversity. The octave range is wide throughout, so we are treated to real tunes that put most of today's 'emo' to shame. The record possesses two idiosyncrasies: HR sang the lyrics to Sacred Love down a phone line from prison (a drugs-related offence, apparently), while Intro is 20 or 30 seconds of music that grows into a full song on the Brains' next album, Quickness. I Against I also contains House of Suffering, a fantastic, abrasive, impassioned and melodic song that ranks as Bad Brains' best tune ever. Rather than rail aimlessly at the world, Bad Brains took up Rastafarianism. This endows I Against I with a righteousness unusual in this type of music. None of the tracks overstays its welcome and the whole thing sounds as if it was all in a day's work for the band.
Everyone from Kurt Cobain to The Beastie Boys name-checked Bad Brains, and I Against I anticipated the 'dance rock' of Faith No More and Jane's Addiction, but neither of those bands sound as soulful and effortless as Bad Brains sound here.
on 6 June 2003
This a rerelease of the 1986 album I against I. Production values are far better than the 1982 S/T release on ROIR, but perhaps losing a little of the raw live Brains energy. There is a good mix of hardcore (i against i, re-ingnition), and bad brains style funky reggae hardcore (secret 77, she's calling you, return to heaven). HR's vocals are as ever excellent and Gary Millers guitar work is able to shine through a little more clearly with the better production. If you want to hear the real Bad Brains then you need to get a live album, re-ignition and secret 77 often feature in live performances. The studio versions are a bit more soulful but still manage to capture the Bad Brains energy and show off the amazing skill of the musicians, a must buy hardcore album, and a good introduction to the Bad Brains.
VINE VOICEon 25 October 2010
If at first you're thinking, what the hell are a bunch of dreads doing playing punk rock, then let your curiosity take you deeper into this cast iron classic of the era.

I Against I is a pulsating crunching rock album showing the fury and lightness of touch that made Bad Brains such a wonderful band. They don't dip into their reggae side here, but no matter, you'll find some brilliant tracks here.

If you like your rock hard, driven and with a message thrown in for free, then this is very much for you.

Brilliant
on 6 September 2011
if you like rock/punk/metal then this is a classic. it's very short but every track is brilliant better short with good tracks than long with loads of filler.bad brains are not very well known but if you're feel you want to check them out then this is a great place to start.rasta punk rock, an awesome album!
on 13 February 2013
Good first two or three songs, but it's too polished and too short for the money. Rock for Light is the essential one.
on 4 April 2015
Wonderful.
on 13 August 2001
this is much along the lines of the Bad Brains self title ablum released in 97.Its not so much punk but funk,less hardcore than many of the new skatepunk bands. If you like the very popular Incubus, then you should get this funky alternative, which doesn't take the much trodden hardcore route
on 4 March 2010
I have to admit, I was looking for a different track of the same title which I eventually found was by Massive Attack. That being said, I have very broad range of music tastes but still didn't find this item appealing.

Unless you're a Bad Brains fan this item probably isn't for you.
33 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse