Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 February 2002
I've been a fan of Fugazi for some time now, so I decided a while back that it was time to broaden my horizon and sample more fruits from the much-praised DC-based Dischord line of bands. I gathered some pennies together, tried my luck and bought The Unanimous Hour (by Lungfish), Now We're Even (by Smart Went Crazy), and this little number. Well, what can I say? I was hooked staright away.
Because of Fugazi's listenable, yet highly quirky sound, I was expecting something a lot harder to get into. The other two CDs I bought were so, but this one grabbed me. It reminded me of all the great aspects of Helmet, and the more rocky, catchy songs of Fugazi, and even Aenima-era Tool to a certain extent. The first song, Cutoff, is phenominal, grabbing you straight away as an honest-to-goodness real rocking alternative anthem, whilst other songs such as Tongues and Ones & Zeros have the same effect as well.
Each song does stand out on it's own though, and even though I make comparisons with other bands, Jawbox were a band that stood on their own as certainly one of the most consistently good bands to stem from the Dischord label, if not the best. They later went on to release two major label albums too (on Atlantic Records), but this one is the best of all their releases, I believe.
After they split, J Robbins (writer and general studio guru) formed Burning Airlines. These, also are really good. The very spirit and intelligence of Jawbox, which was primarily J Robbin's band, seems to be with this group too.
on 20 February 2010
Better than 'Fugazi'. Surpass 'Helmet' (although 'Meantime' is a splendid album) and 'Tool' are just rubbish. This is a cracking album. Jawbox should have been a bigger band and had more success. They were very underrated. My favourites are 'Cutoff' 'Tongues' and 'Channel 3'. There is a bit of filler on the album, but you can't knock such a great band.