Customer reviews

Planxty
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 January 2018
When I opened this I was gutted to see a scratch across the first 2 tracks. The paper sleeve looks as though it has coffee stains on it; the outer cover has slightly scuffed corners which is reasonable for its age. I put it on the turntable in trepidation and waited for it to jump when it hit the scratch, but no... just wonderful, full quality sound from beginning to end. I am absolutely over the moon with this and it's brought back many happy memories!
One person found this helpful
on 9 May 2014
The 'Black' album, I first bought this speculatively back in 1981 as a vinyl disc and instantly fell in love with it. Consequently this album has become one of the defining records of my life and is right up there on my personal Desert Island Discs list! If you like folk/trad music you will be blown away by this record. Superb musicianship, a wonderful mix of trad and their own compositions. It even propelled me on a journey when, as a young teenager sat in my bedroom in southern England I listened over and over again to 'The West Coast of Clare' so in my twenties I upped and went to the West Coast of Clare where I walked to Spanish Point and sat in a pub in Miltown Malbay (I didn't find her either Andy!). And whilst I'm name dropping, I once met Christy Moore in an airport and he is the nicest guy you could ever wish to meet! Go buy it!
3 people found this helpful
on 20 March 2013
Perhaps one of the sadest things about the finest musicians is that they are always exploring and developing - then moving on. Planxty have not been together for many years now - they officialy split in 1985. Though they have been doing wonderful things individualy and in new partnerships, they have occasionaly reunited for a concert or two. But my main focus is the incredible music that Christy Moore, Andy Irvine, Donal Luny & Liam O'Flynn created in the 1970's. Whether it is gothic tales of the darkest side of religion or quirky romantic renditions, Planxty created real earthy, pasionate, firey, traditionaly rooted Celtic music - not just pub sing along stuff. The gulf between Planxty and bands like The Chieftains or The Dubliners is huge. If you think those two 'pop' groups played Irish music, you haven't heard Planxty. Though my favourite album is Well Below The Valley this album is pretty close behind and is probably more eclectic for the first time listener. If you've not heard Planxty yet, you really don't know what you've been missing.
on 24 December 2012
The so-called "black album" by Planxty was a revelation to Irish youth when it was first released and helped make Traditional and Folk "cool". Like the "white album" it features four exceptionally talented and distinctive artists. Unlike the Fab Four only two are lead vocalists but Donal Lunny is an exceptional harmony singer and Liam's piping is a voice in itself. This is not Planxty's Greatest Hits but it is their greatest album and should never be split or played out of order. Like a good Irish Session, it moves from song to tune and back again so that even the casual listener is never allowed to be bored. There are slow airs and ballads and rabble-rousing anthems and it features self-penned numbers by Andy Irvine and a contemporary anthem "only our rivers" which sound as if they have been part of the folk canon for ever. Vocalist Christy Moore has rarely sounded better and is not yet sounding like a parody of himself. If you want to introduce a "foreigner" to Irish acoustic music, which in fact was my brief for purchasing, I do not believe there is a single album available which is better qualified. A timeless classic.
7 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 20 May 2011
I'm a huge fan of Ewan MacColl, Dick Gaughan, AL Lloyd, Chris Wood, John Langstaff, Martin Simpson, great traditional Folk in general. Only recently decided to to take a chance on this band and subsequently, Christy Moore....OH MY GOODNESS...buy it as soon as you can. Wonderful stuff.
6 people found this helpful
on 5 October 2015
Class performance from the Best. Thanks. RK
on 31 January 2016
Great Musicianship
on 4 October 2015
wonderfully played folk: it sounds jolly and then you really listen to the words about abduction and worse...lovely stuff.
on 29 July 2015
wonderful
on 21 October 2013
This is a beautiful album; lyrical and rousing, and doesn't date.
This is perhaps my favourite record of all time.