Customer reviews

on 19 June 2006
I've listened to many versions of Pictures at an Exhibition from Emerson Lake & Palmer through Issao Tomita, and many full orchestral performances. While the rock and electronic versions captured my imagination I had a lot of trouble finding an orchestrated version that I found satisfying.

At long last, I have found that version. This CD performed by the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra under the baton of Leopold Stokowski brings out the best of Modest Mussorgsky's best known pieces.

Starting with the well known A Night on the Bare Mountain followed by Boris Godunov and Act IV of Khovanshchina, we finally arrive at Pictures at an Exhibition. All have a fully rounded sound with the tonal qualities of this Chandos recording remaining excellent throughout its 69 minutes.

Many a recording of Pictures at an exhibition has sounded flat and uninteresting to me. This, however, gives full rein to Stokowski's imagination and the music is all the better for it.

This is, by far, the most listenable and consistently enjoyable recording of Mussorgsky's works I have ever heard and brings out hitherto hidden depths of these, the most famous of the Russian composers works.