Customer reviews

Early Girls, Vol.1: Popsicles & Icicles
Format: Audio CD|Change

#1 HALL OF FAMETOP 10 REVIEWERon 27 January 2003
This impressive collection of recordings by female singers, laid down between 1957 and 1963, is the first of three volumes. Few of the ladies featured here had a lot of hits. Skeeter Davis, successful for several years on the country charts, is represented here by I can't stay mad at you, but is best remembered for End of the world.
The set begins with Do wah diddy, a minor American hit for the Exciters which later became a number one hit in Britain and America via Manfred Mann's version. Betty Everett's version of You're no good helped launch her career, but the song became much more successful when covered by the Swinging blue jeans in Britain and (later) Linda Ronstadt in America. Completing an unlucky trio is Earl Jean, who had a top forty American hit with I'm into something good, only to see Herman's hermits cover the song and make it their own. There is nothing wrong with any of the original versions of these songs, leaving us to wonder why they did not have more success.
There are big hits here - It might as well rain until September (Carole King) and I love how you love me (Paris Sisters) were huge hits in both Britain and America. Other huge American hits include The name game (Shirley Ellis, best known in Britain for the clapping song), Dark moon (Bonnie Guitar) and Dedicated to the one I love (Shirelles, best remembered everywhere for Will you love me tomorrow).
There are many other great songs, mostly sung by long-forgotten one-hit wonders. Anybody interested in female singers of the era and looking for less obvious material should check this out.
on 31 December 2006
Ace records never fail to amaze me and Early Girls is no exception, for me stand out tracks are obviously the original of Doo Wah Diddy Diddy - Exciters, & You're No Good - Everett, Betty, Name Game - Ellis, Shirley (can't stop trying to sing along with that one!) I'm Into Something Good - Earl Jean - (amazing to hear the original), a personal favourite is I Told Every Little Star - Scott, Linda (first heared Rachel Sweet sing this one a long time ago on Oh Boy! in the 80's), Pink Shoe Laces - Stevens, Dodie... I'll stop there it's just a fantastic compilation!, I've got Vol'2 on order now.
on 13 June 2016
Really good tracks on this CD