Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 March 2017
I bought this as a gift for my son. I was very pleased to be able to access the Chic Corea shop, as the main cd was over £100 and this was a fraction of that. My son is very pleased with it. It is slightly different to the norm. I gather as most of Chic's music isn't played on the electric guitar. I believe the style is classed as Fusion.
on 24 May 2004
I remember buying this on cassette when it was first released, way back in the 80's. I was still going through my Buddy Rich phase at that time [still am!], and although I'd heard other fusion bands - none had really made an impact, until I heard this! I was familiar with Chick Corea's earlier work, but Dave Weckl and John Patitucci were new to me.

These three players were the core of The Elektric Band. Guitarists Scott Henderson and Carlos Rios joined them on various tracks. The first thing I focussed on was Dave Weckl's drumming. I'd never heard anything like that before; especially the way he combined electronic percussion with his acoustic kit playing. And, of course, his amazing drumming abilities!

Once I got more into the actual music, there were more surprises. The compositions were at times extremely complex, or quite jazzy and funky. I was also impressed with the way keyboard and guitar melodies would merge as one, with Chick even bending notes on his keys whenever Scott or Carlos used their whammy bar! Of course, this "doubling up" melodies has always been around, but I'd never heard it quite like this. It's a very effective technique.

There's a track on this album called "Rumble", which has sequencers, electro-acoustic drumming and Chick's trademark melodic lines playing over this - not to mention Patitucci's bass-work driving it along. Quite amazing. Remember, this was all happening in 1986 - almost 20 years ago! Other highlight tracks for me are; "Cool Weasel Boogie", where Patitucci switches to acoustic bass to provide a more laid back feel. The showcase track would have to be "Got a Match?", a fast tempo tune displaying the band's virtuosity to the full. But, my favourite track is "Silver Temple", which is a masterpiece, and a wonderful way to close the album. Weckl lays down some nice grooves on this, typical (now) of his style.

All in all, I think "The Elektric Band" set a new standard in fusion, and must have spawned a whole new generation of bands, trying to reach that level. And I can still listen to it today and get the same enjoyment from it. Amazingly, a live gig of the band was actually shown on TV around the time of the album's release! Scott played guitar throughout that performance. It was incredible actually seeing these players carrying it off live! I only wish someone would re-release that particular gig on DVD. I'd love to see them in action again, when they were at their best.

A ground-breaking album. A MUST BUY for anyone new to fusion.

Yanek
on 12 October 2009
According to the dictionary, fusion, with regards to music, as we all know is the blending of the raw elements of two different yet simultaneously harmonious entities into one. However, what is less known is that the word 'fusion' originates from the Italian 'fusio', meaning 'pouring out' or 'melting', and I'd argue that this is the effect this album has: it creates a pouring out of emotion and disbelief in the listener and causes a feeling akin to one's own heart melting at the blissful rhythmical energies and melodic masterstrokes. On top of the emotion that emanates from this record, it is also a complex set of mathematical equations, hence my title to this review. I believe that Einstein would have been fascinated at the mind-boggling complexities at work here - take Weckl's drumming. At once he literally creates equations with his hands and solves them with his feet. I urge you to purchase this album, sit back, plug in the headphones, grab yourself a glass of whatever your tipple is, close your eyes and let the Elektic band take you on a voyage. Just be prepared to never want to come back!
on 16 February 2013
A few years ago, I would have dismissed this album as cheesy 80's elevator music but now I know better. The album still sounds incredibly of the 80's (think Sonic the Hedgehog!) but I think each time in history should have its own sound. The 80's get unfairly bashed by a lot of music critics and I will attempt to not be one of them.

This album really shines with respect to sheer technicality and musicianship. The whole band play as one and execute the most amazing musical phrases as though they were a walk in the park. It's actually quite scary really. The compositions are packed full of invention, complex rhythms, funky sounds and spacious production values. It doesn't sound like there is much real group improvisation going on though so, if you want a jamming feel, this may not be your record. The tracks here sound very composed and prepared, something fairly typical of Corea.

Where the album falls down as a total piece is its slight over-length. I wanted the album to finish about three songs earlier than it did. I know this might seem like nit-picking but I just have this dream of being able for once to just sit down and listen to an entire album without having to have a break.
on 4 November 1999
The combination of Dave Wekl and John Patittucci will probably be remembered as one of the great rythm sections and this is the album that brought them to the attention of other musicians. Especially notable is the track "Got a match" which features an amazing 6 string bass solo from John Patitucci and unbelievable togetherness as a band.
on 4 January 2013
I am not a Jazz Fan usually but this is great stuff. If you are a musician you will especially appreciate it. This will encourage me to look for further work by the Electrik Band
on 2 May 2015
Very good perhaps a tad down from earlier RTF albums
on 15 February 2016
A very good jazz-rock album
on 17 June 2015