TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 17 June 2018
This is a great little book. A bit too wordy in places, but the ideas are in the right place. It's about sketches and visual note taking. As the title suggests, these are often more productive when done on less than perfect media. After reading this I did a test with a large group of students. I gave them all a napkin and told them to come up with ideas for a project. It was gratifying to see how well that worked and how some of them went on to read the book and keep using grotty sheets of paper to work out ideas.

Recommended.
on 25 March 2015
There's something really useful in here but the authors proficiency with pictures is let down by his written explanations.
Scenarios where various approaches should be used aren't well enough explained, particularly the nuances of which variety of his varIous SQVIDs should be used.
Frustrating as it does feel like there is something useful that I'm missing out on.
on 24 May 2013
It's a great concept and the book explains everything you need to know about what it is but I felt it lacked a bit on the how to to achieve it. I suppose that is the unfolding the napkin book. The first half of this book deals with the whole concept and the second have walks through an example case so it shows examples of some parts of the framework but does not have examples for them all.

Shortly after starting to read this book, I managed to sketch out a solution to a client issue and everyone understood what I wanted them to. That was just because the book encouraged me to try it out and it was before I really understood the framework and toolkit.

It's written well and now I've finished it, I cannot wait for a new problem to arise that I can solve with pictures.
on 25 August 2009
This book is not just about creating graphs or using graphs to simplify the way you communicate the ideas, it's defining a complete methodology to analyze projects and problems using graphs to document that in the process.
So it's not just graphs it's more than that and there are some very good model to apply. It's also very interesting what kind of graph is better to talk about "what", "when", "where", "how", "why"...
Personally I think that the methodology is quite good, but for me is not easy to remember, so you have to come back to the book frequently.

I would not say this a methodology to apply for any project or workshop, but I really think it can complement other better know approaches in some cases.

I found the book interesting and easy to read.
on 19 May 2014
I communicate with pictures (black pen person) - so this book provided me with both a structure and a framework to use when facilitating workshops. I think the closing chapters could be expanded to bring everything together better and expalin how you would run a workshop using this technique. It would also expalin better what the final result would look like and how you might use it.
3 people found this helpful
on 1 August 2009
I use a lot of training techniques as part of my role. this book starts off very simply and in fact I nearly gave up because it all seemed very obvious. I kept going back to it to consolidate and develop my understanding and found it to be a very powerful tool for focussing and developing ideas.
I am going to use it on some of my clients to see if it makes a difference to my own delivery and support. Great book.
8 people found this helpful
on 6 August 2010
I kind of liked this book at the start, but found it hard to finish. I just got the impression that it was jumping on the bandwagon of books that take common sense ideas and try to make whole book out of them.

In other words, the concepts covered are enough for maybe a feature length article in a magazine. A whole book is stretching it.

Still, it makes you think in new ways, and that's always a good thing.
2 people found this helpful
on 16 November 2013
The image scans are terrible quality and you will not be able to read them properly on any device. I immediately tried to get a refund.
4 people found this helpful
on 1 September 2014
Nice book about how to think about using pictures to present date, convey ideas and ultimately solve problems. Simple easy style of writing makes this a great book yo read
on 1 August 2017