Customer reviews

on 11 January 2011
To be perfectly honest I find it very difficult to go on holiday without having done a little digging before I go. This may sound a little "odd" but I actually enjoy the planning process as much as the holiday itself.
I therefore have a growing collection of travel guides (good news for Amazon !!).

My usual travel companion is Cara my daughter, who will be 21 this year, as this trip will coincide with her birthday I was keen to "do my homework" and ensure that she has a trip / birthday to remember.

She had suggested Monte Carlo as a possibility so hence the recent purchase of the book - it has apparently been fully up-dated and gives an excellent introduction to the French Riviera.
The photographs are truly inspiring (especially when viewed in a British winter)- can the sea & sky really be that BLUE.
There is a small section on the Region's history, some detailed descriptions of all points of interest heading geographically from West to East - Hyeres to Menton near the Italian border.
It also has recommendations for restaurants, hotels, travel tips & day trip suggestions which I find quite useful - although we quite often merely follow our noses.
We have been to Cannes before, so are thinking about setting up base camp in Nice which apparently has a good selection of restaurants & retail therapy (young daughter who will indeed shop till she drops)and still seems to retain it's regional identity.
Needless to say I am looking forward to our trip to France and will no doubt ensure that the first thing put into my luggage will be my newly acquired guide book.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 16 August 2011
An excellent compact guide to the area, both the coast and the inland parts, useful for pre-trip planning and as a guide book whilst there. The guide provides reasonable information on the sights and the addition of plenty of photographs within each chapter is helpful (I don't like the way some guidebooks puts blocks of pictures together well away from the text). There is a handy pullout map that fits into the flyleaf although I still wouldn't be without a larger road atlas. At the end there is a travel tips section which includes listings for hotels - restaurant suggestions are included in elsewhere as part of the guide to each place/area - plus information on festivals & events, markets, etc..
on 3 March 2012
INSPIRATION. It does not come from reading a Wikipedia page about a destination, nor is it stirred
up by reading page after page of text without photographs or drawings. Insight Guides are both
practical and emotional, serving up information and inspiration in equal measure.

For all the good the internet does, it can be an incredibly daunting resource for someone researching
a holiday to an unfamiliar location. Wikipedia, TripAdvisor and the tourist board will all offer up
useful information but there is no amalgamation, no united purpose. It's all a little bit here and
there.

For me, guidebooks are an essential port of call. They give you the overview you need to get a sense
of the town, city or country, whilst also providing an opportunity for in-depth study of particular
points of interest. It allows the reader to mine down to whatever level of information they wish
- you can know about a country's geopolitics or you can know what time the local modern art
museum closes on a Sunday. All in one resource.

Insight Guides are, in my experience, the finest of the lot. They are concise but never brief. They do
not resemble the tomes of Lonely Planet guides nor are they guilty of the lack of depth for which
DK's efforts can be criticised. Instead they fall in a happy middle ground and impress as a result.

I picked up this guide for inspiration as I was due to move to Cagnes-sur-Mer and it was not an area
of which I had any experience. I grabbed this and the DK Eyewitness book covering the same region.
Immediately there is a difference - the DK pitches at the reader with more hand-drawn graphics,
more boxes and more insets. The Insight, whilst by no means short of photographs, maps and
graphics, places them around a sizeable chunk of text which affords the reader a grand opportunity
at fully understanding a region.

If one was to dip in and consider only the pictures, the Insight Guide trumps the DK guide. If one is
inclined to take in the wealth of information contained in the Insight Guide, it is undoubtedly the
better guidebook. You come away from the book not only wanting to see every place mentioned
in the book but also knowing how doing so would be possible. And yet this is not a book comprised
solely of glowing positives - there is the welcome inclusion of warnings pertaining to tourist traps,
overrated attractions and unsafe suburbs.

Since this guide, an Insight Guide has been purchased in advance of every trip I have taken and that
is not a trend I see stopping anytime soon.
on 12 July 2013
I recently bought 3 guidebooks for Provence & the Cote d'Azur - Time Out, DK and Rough Guide and was very disappointed when I received them to find they all only had a very small section about the Cote d'Azur. I then realised I should have bought a guidebook just for the French Riviera, and since Time Out, DK and Rough Guides don't do this, I looked at other publishers and ordered this Insight guide.It is full of photos and useful information as well as containing a separate pull out road map of the area. Very pleased with purchase and wish I had just ordered the Insight guide in the first place and not ordered the others.
on 24 April 2015
I have read this and my overriding impression is that the author doesn't really like the The French Riviera. I like some general background and history and I feel that this book overdoes the history and minimises actual travel info and places to visit. Maybe my expectations were wrong as I usually purchase Lonely Planet guides and these in my opinion are a much more pleasant guide.
on 8 December 2014
Excellent highly recommend I am enjoying all the beautiful places