Customer reviews

on 21 November 2014
I went through a phase of wanting to learn Japanese as I love everything to do with Japan. I found that this book, among a few others that I purchased was very informative! I wouldn't have said it couldn't be learned in 30 days but I suppose if you dedicated a lot of time overall to it, then it could be possible. I highly recommend this for anyone who is interested in learning the wonderful Japanese language! it ranges from the more simple phrases to slightly more advanced over time.
on 7 July 2013
Bought this to help improve my Japanese and aside from my lack of will power, this book is serving well. It eases you into things without being patronising. I've not given it 5 stars as the audio quality of the CD is a bit rough at times. Makes it a little hard to accurately decipher what's being said.
on 17 February 2014
He had been going on about learning Japanese for ages as he seems to love the place despite never being there. Anyway a year on he's still practicing on it so I guess that's a good sign. Hasn't recited any to me yet though!
on 1 April 2014
It's definitly good start for someone wish to learn basic japanese conversation, It's pocket size great to bring on your holiday trip.
on 16 November 2013
I certainly wouldn't recommend this book for someone who is totally unsure of the Japanese sentence structure without being advised or taught by someone with experience and luckily for me I did. Although it does explain how sentences work and why certain elements are in there, it does take a while for one to wrap one's head around why and to remember to say it when having a conversation.
I certainly love learning Japanese and this book- I'd say I was intermediate- is certainly good. It also includes some basic Japanese etiquette from time to time and how the education system works over there along with teaching the stroke order of Hiragana and atakana although it is all translated into Romaji until towards the end when you supposedly have learnt how to speak it.

Although, depending on how committed you are to learning, it is surprising how quick the you remember certain words and phrases although it would have been nice if the book could offer advice on how to make it more fun to study. Personally I use flip cards and play match, speaking out the Japanese and English translation until I can remember which words coordinate with each other.
on 1 May 2013
Hi there,

I brought it, tried it, and regret it.

WARNING: don't waste your money on the audio CD. It sounds like the audio was converted from an old tape recording of an old man talking in a tunnel... oh, and my Japanese friend confirmed he has a lisp!

This is also creepy... seriously! Example: "Berlitz Japanese lesson 17: What Do You Like?"... Old guy: "which teacher do you like?" Young woman: "I like the history teacher"... Clearly, Berlitz are going for a very specific market here...

Someone should have told this old guy he is past it and can't pronounce his native language well enough to teach it. This is a great example for everyone wanting to learn about Japan - specifically, why their economic is stagnant and why companies like Toyota end up with 'safety issues'.

They should have hired a guy off the street with a good mike on his phone and access to a quiet room.

Cheers,
Mike
on 7 August 2010
Great service, great product, would definately use this company again. I bought Japanese in 30 days for my daughter, she says it's really easy to follow and understand.