on 7 November 2012
This book is not the usual dumbed-down offering.
Prof. Susskind has written a couple of populist books on modern Physics but this is not one of them. It is a serious text on physics at the highest level. It assumes at least a working understanding of the mathematics of General Relativity and black holes.
For anyone who is interested, the necessary background can be acquired by following Prof. Susskind's lectures on YouTube.
OTOH, if you don't feel the need to stretch your mental muscles into spaghetti, you can always leave a copy on your coffee-table to impress casual visitors.
on 26 February 2018
A book on black holes, not particularly complicated if you do not mind a lot of equations
on 28 July 2016
It is too complex to understand; it is not a text book, is it?
on 22 July 2015
good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 July 2014
The book is excellent. I did not have the required prerequisite to follow all the material. It is advanced treatment of the subject that requires familiarity with latest research. Black hole war by the author presents some of these ideas at a more accessible level.
on 25 March 2009
It is a little hard to give this an accurate rating because I was unable to follow very much of it. Although I'm a lifelong astronomy and cosmology geek this was far beyond me.

The first page is full of equations (which is fine), but it is assumed that you know what most of the symbols mean already. This is not high school or A level stuff - you'll need a good degree in physics or astrophysics to understand what's going on.

That's not necessarily a criticism of the book, more a warning not to be taken in by the word 'introduction' in the title as I was! You can still glean some information by reading the text around the equations but I'm going to move onto something a bit easier first.
22 Comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 July 2006
It's a really great little book. I got half-way through and realized I wasn't understanding the mathematics involved. I was not surprised by this as I am an artist with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree.I have had little opportunity to learn the terms and concepts involved. So I stopped reading this book and read Roger Penrose's "Road to Reality". It is an excellent book from which I was able to learn about the mathematics, and a whole lot more. I then read Susskind's Holographic Universe without much trouble, understanding quite well what he is getting at. I would rate it as "terribly interesting".
0Comment| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse