on 6 June 2008
I'm not Jamaican I'm Scottish. My best friend however is of Jamaican parentage. Now she doesn't cook Jamaican food on the whole. But she had heard that this book was great. So I went ahead and bought a couple of copies for us both. I've probably cooked more Jamaican than her now!

Oh boy. Oh boy, oh boy, mmmmm tasty, tasty food! I would make one slight point though. Some of the recipes are not quite that easy to do. Only because the author presumes too much of you. I personally would prefer a more step by step guide. There appears to be steps missing in some of the recipes. But they're not that bad that you can't work them out. And the results are fantastic.

Now I'm not a huge fan of over spicy food. But I made "Jerk Chicken" and overnight I became a convert. For that one recipe the book is well worth the money. Yeah it's hot, hot, hot. But my mouth tingled, it didn't burn. It actually tingled with joy.

Plus you get a bit of cultural history as well. And a background to the recipes and their names as well.

Mince & Tatties are the staple dish of Scotland. Don't get me wrong I love good old stodgy Scottish food. But Jamaican food is so tasty, & colourful. And if you are Scottish just look at the Cake section. It's got Scotland written all over it!

Seriously you don't have to be Black to enjoy this book. Even the Auld Troll wants to borrow the book of me. So she can make some of the soups. Jamaican food is the best! It's the bees pyjamas!

Any Jamaicans out there want to adopt a skinny wee Scottish Boy?
22 Comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 January 2007
My fathers Jamaican, so we often had great carribean meals (cooked by mum!) whilst growing up. I still cook some, but with others I've tried to do 'by memory', sadly, they are never like I remembered!

My copy of 'The Real Taste of Jamaica' has only just arrived today, and I'm already very pleased with it. There are so many dishes I hadnt even heard of.

Not only has it been fun looking for and remembering things we used to have, the book is a good size, with easy to follow recipes, and large colour photographs. Its very informative, and theres also an A to Z of Jamaican foods for those not in the know.

'Cups' are used for the ingredient measurements in each recipe, but there is a handy conversion chart at the back of the book (as well as others for oven temps etc.)

Finally I have access to a full list of ingredients so I can cook my food, and make it taste just like it used to!
on 29 January 2016
This was a book that had been recommended to me by my cousin , who had been given a copy by her mother as a wedding gift. Whilst there was all the recipes that I was expecting for Jamaica, with lots of good pictures of vegetables and spices, for the cost of the book (and over three weeks before delivery ) , I felt disappointed. Many of the recipes added sugar, and as a Jamaican, who left at an early age to live in the UK, was conciousely looking for authenticity to the recipes, but found myself adding additional ingredients in my head, to what I had learnt over the years and had developed for my family. The extensive use of sugar to recipes that I don't believe is necessary and I knew could be omitted , wondered if this book should be updated especially as we know the conceqence of sugar today .
This is a book that gives a good description of the many recipes that are of Jamaica, but lacks some ingedients that truly give the flavours that I was looking for.
on 30 April 2016
I absolutely love this book.
I have my own copy. Got this as a gift for a family member as a gift and they love it to!!!
A very hard book to get my hands on in the UK. So thankful I found it on AMAZON and at a great price too. Would have to spend a few £££ to get it shipped from the USA. Received before estimated date of delivery.
on 4 March 2014
This book shows us all that Jamaican food is unique and delicious. Having spent lots of time in Jamaica and the last 45 or so years in the company of Jamaican people, I can vouch for the authenticity of some of the recipes.
on 6 February 2014
Love the product was as described perfect condition, good cultural learning and authentic recipes . Excellent quality. nice selection of dishes would recommend, happy with purchase. Speedy delivery.
on 13 December 2014
The ultimate memory of original Jamaican dishes...can't get enough of it! foods taste delicious...well done
on 28 September 2013
My favourite cook book at the moment many recipes that I always wanted to try. The actual detail is simple and to the point so maybe not for the total beginner.
on 27 March 2013
Bought for my mum and she seems very happy with it. As there were recipes in it from her childhood that she had forgotten about. Much used and much loved.
on 30 August 2012
Received my book way ahead of schedule. I've already tried a few of the recipes - certainly got that good old Jamaican flavor. The variety of recipes offered are excellent. For anyone who loves Jamaican cuisine this book is a MUST have. I will definately recommend this one. I am really pleased with the purchase.