Customer reviews

If You Want to Write: A Book about Art, Independence and Spirit
Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 March 2014
Best book I've ever read, if you want to open you eyes then read it, love it x . .
on 6 March 2011
Thank you to all the reviewers who raved about this book. I bought it and love it. It is as relevant today as it was in the 30s. All teachers and writers should read it. It's a must for beginner writers. Write truthfully, honestly and without using verbose literary words. If you want to write then you will find the time, or you will just get grumpy! It's a classic along with Dorothea Brande's book, Becoming a Writer.
on 13 October 2014
So badly written or, at least, so poorly proof read and edited, that it's just unreadable. Even from the preface onwards, its just appalling. Unreadable. Perhaps this is a good book but you wont be able to read it to find out because its like reading something written by someone who is barely literate, knows nothing of punctuation and can barely string a sentence together. Just awful.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 February 2013
Written with wisdom and generosity, the kind of book I will keep on my shelf as an old friend years from now.
on 1 July 2015
My go-to inspiration every time I feel crippled by self-doubt.
on 5 January 2011
I did not enjoy this book.

It seems to make the whole art/craft of writing a bit too seriously.

Somehow it did not strike a chord with me.

I have enjoyed 'Bird by bird' by Ann Lamont more.
on 26 May 2009
I work as a professional writer (journalism and copywriting mainly) but my creative writing took a nosedive years ago and I have been struggling to resurrect it for ages. Consequently, I am always on the look out for books which spark off the creative fire within, and needless to say my bookshelves are groaning under the weight of those which I have bought, read and not yet read over the years.

I stumbled across the reviews for this title and thought it was worth a shot, and have to say it is quite simply the best book on writing that I have ever read (and I've read loads!). It absolutely worked for me and I have spewed out thousands of words since I read it without stopping. They are not all necessarily good, but as the book explains, that's not the point.

Buy it now without hesitation, and get on with writing!
on 26 August 2011
Brilliant !! The author writes in her first chapter 'everybody who is human has something to express' How very apt that statement is. Initially I was looking for a book to give me a clue on how to write my family history or memoirs and infact where to start - when I noticed this book on line here. I purchased it because it had the added combined interests of mine Art, Independence and Spirit. Well - wow !! Right from the first page, I was held spell bound and could hardly put it down. Every statement from the very first page seemed so relevant to my needs and then as I continued reading - finding a greater understanding - that these words were relevant to everyone's needs. I was not the odd bod but just unique - like everyone of us. I was somebody special with something special to say and that that 'speciality' purely and simply would come across in the way in which I was made. I have not started my memoirs seriously yet -but I have learned something quite magical and loved myself a little more, realise that I do have an energy which must be used before much longer. I am accepting myself a great deal more and when next I either pick up a pen, or paintbrush I shall listen to my body and be thankful that I read the writings of Brenda Ueland. I hope she is still alive and sees this - because I am full of admiration. Thank you.
on 16 January 2012
I bought this book because I read 'The Artist's Muse', and Betsy Dillard Stroud recommended it.

It is a really lovely book, and the author looks at the world in a fascinating way, which is wholly convincing and an inspiration. I am so glad I read it, and I also think it's a book I will come back to again and again.

There are loads of typos in my copy, and empty lines, but it didn't detract from the enjoyment I got from the book at all. I would really recommend it.
on 3 December 2017
I didn't order this and didn't download it so why ask me? And what about a refund?