on 13 July 2005
It seems that no map of Crete is 100% accurate or complete, but this comes far, far closer to 100% accuracy and completeness than any of the other maps I've studied (which includes all the most popular ones on Amazon's list).
The scale of 1:100,000 allows for plenty of detail without obscuring the overall picture; contour lines etc show the topography accurately. It differentiates clearly between driveable roads and unmade tracks (though it does occasionally get them the wrong way round); the distances are pretty accurate; and the actual mapping of the roads is far more accurate than any other map I've found, though "motorway" exits are not all shown and not all correct, which can be a nuisance. It shows the sites of antiquities; it shows almost all the beaches easily at a glance - a blue line along the coast - this is much clearer than any of the other maps; it gives everything in Greek letters as well as Roman ones, which can be a helpful aide-memoir. It even shows petrol stations - useful in out-of-the-way districts. There are good town plans of Chania and Rethymno.
The only real drawback is the rather flimsy paper it's printed on, which doesn't stand up well to heavy use: I've had to buy a second copy after only 6-7 weeks use. But I'd rather buy a third copy of this when the current one wears out, than have to rely on any of the other maps of the island which I've bought!
on 19 May 2007
I totally agree with the previous reviewer that this is an excellent map with plenty of detail in you want to explore this beautiful island by car and on foot. I was amused by the fact that petrol stations are shown as we have never been anywhere with as many as Crete.

I don't know how we would have managed to negotiate Chania and Rethynmno without the street plans on this map which correctly set out the one way system. Without such a plan of Heraklion, we managed to drive the wrong way down a one way street there!

Place names are all in Greek and English which helps in interpreting road signs - in small places these are sometimes only signposted in Greek.

I agree that the map is very flimsy - it started to split along one crease immediately we used it and was in tatters after two weeks use. We've reinforced all the creases now with clear drawing tape as we will be relying on this great map for future trips.
on 28 April 2010
Cannot help but agree with other reviewers, excellent map, certainly the best map we found and did not get lost too many times.
Ours now in tatters as well.
We are now going to buy the one of Eastern Crete, hoping that it is as good for our holiday this year, along with a roll of sellotape to repair them both!
on 18 September 2014
Maps are about the best in terms of detail and accuracy we have found for Greece but they tend to fall apart after they have been used only a few times.
on 12 March 2013
very clear, good contion but has obviously been used which proves its usefulness sorry i've run out of useful thangs to say- perhaps i wont bother again with all this palaver, its just not worth the effort!