on 11 September 2000
I first read this book 30yrs ago ,I was given it by my greek-cypriot mother in law who was a fantastic cook,every recipe is easy to understand and tastes authentic,I actually tried every recipe from front to back cover at the time not even knowing what the final product should look or taste like! but to my delight everything I cooked from this book passed with flying colours! I am so pleased to find it still in print and am ordering 3 new copies for my children and maybe one for myself(my original is still in use ,but exceedingly tatty,a joy to cook from.
on 30 June 2001
I replace this book every time I go to Greece on holiday as I use it so much the pages fall out! The recipes are simple and effective and without the 'ballyhoo' usually attached to Greek food. In short, it is Greek food as the Greek housewife cooks it (or as near as it is possible to get outside Greece given the absence of decent oregano or tomatoes!).
22 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 July 2007
On first impression, this little book doesn't appear to be much, but appearances are deceptive! This is a very inexpensive cookbook, however it contains every recipe you could wish for or have ever heard of. There are no glossy photographs of the finished dish, it is a small pocket-sized book, choc-full of simple but authentic recipes. Mrs Paradissis - the "Doyenne" of Greek cookery, as a Greek friend eloquently described her, certainly knows how to cook. This book is a true classic, and includes a detailed introduction to the cuisine. In here you will find her delicious 'Revani' recipe, and countless recipes for stuffed vegetables, as well as interesting variations on the ubiquitous "Moussakas". This book is well worth its weight in gold. I am now looking for the hardback version. HIGHLY recommended!!
on 7 April 2012
On first impression, this little book doesn't appear to be much, but appearances are deceptive. This is a very inexpensive cookbook, however it contains every recipe you could wish for or have ever heard of. There are no glossy photographs of the finished dish, it is a small pocket-sized book, choc-full of simple but authentic, traditional recipes. Mrs Paradissis - the "Doyenne" of Greek cookery, as a Greek friend eloquently described her, certainly knows how to cook. This book is a true classic, and includes a detailed introduction to the cuisine. In here you will find her delicious 'Revani' recipe, and countless recipes for stuffed vegetables, as well as interesting variations on the ubiquitous "Moussakas". This book is well worth its weight in gold. I am now looking for the hardback edition. My paperback edition is almost falling apart.
review image
on 18 November 2011
Easy to follow, authentic recipes from Greece. The Moussaka is exceptional. A must have in the kitchen. I have owned a few, the first one bought in an island in the Dodecanese.
on 16 August 2002
I first bought this book whilst living in Greece in the 1970's and used it until all the pages fell out! I was living with a Greek family at the time and the 'lady of the house' used it as much as I did so the recipes are very much those used in a Greek family home. Since, I have been through another three copies which have ended up in the same state.
The recipes are delicious and very easy.
I cannot recommend it highly enough.
on 24 January 2011
Bought this fab cook book back in 1984 and use it regularly to cook great Greek dishes. Friends often complement me on my efforts and so I decided to order the 'Greek Bible' for them.... On its arrival, I instantly saw the book is smaller, in fact 1 cm in height smaller and 5mm narrower. The result is that the page numbers are missing or half printed, and some of the recipes are printed so faintly that I cannot read them.
on 15 August 2015
I bought this when it first came out and I loved it but it got worn and I misplaced it so I bought again after much searching
Easy simple little book worth it
on 2 November 2014
I had my first copy of this book nearly 40 years ago and just loved it's simple and concise recipes and methods for making wonderful savoury and sweet foods.
on 29 February 2016
This was a replacement for my old copy which had literally fallen apart ,it was used but still intact I am happy with it