on 8 August 2013
I feel that a lot of the material in this book is really for quite advanced players. Yet even though I am a rather basic player I still love this book and enjoy reading it as well as setting up and examining the positions/games it offers. I think this is because the author clearly loved chess and was inspired by it and was able to communicate this in the book. I came back to playing regular chess after reading this book and even though I am not a strong player I love the game and this book still inspires me.
on 20 April 2017
Excellent book
on 11 March 2009
If ,like me, your a low rated club player 1100+ whose chess is improving fast(or not as the case may be) and looking for that chess book among thousands that will set you of on the right path then this edition of MY SYSTEM is FABULOUS. IT's concept's are clear and easy to understand even if some of chess strategy has evolved over the years many of the basic ideas are still the same. Stronger players in my club always told me to have a plan when playing chess because sooner or later you come to a place when you're not going to know the book reply and tactics will not solve the problem either. MY SYSTEM will put you on the right track to developing good sound POSITIONAL play. Tactical play is great but on its own will not improve your chess. My thinking has changed dramatically because of this book and my grade is rising accordingly. I would also recommend that you follow up this book with SECRETS of MODERN CHESS STRATEGY by John Watson and UNDERSTANDING CHESS MOVE by MOVE by John Nunn. Save time and improve now and get on the right track to winning.
on 24 January 2010
This book isn't going to make you a top rated player overnight but it is certainly going to up your game. After buying it my chess enjoyment has increased dramatically.
I only play against an electronic chess board but I can see the principles set out in the book unfolding before me. I certainly don't win every game but the ones I do win are all the enjoyable because I can now fully understand how I got there - thanks to this brilliant piece of work.
A must have for anyone who enjoys chess regularly.
on 16 April 2011
A chess book I like everything about. The size, readability and enticement ( or is that readability ) were just about right.
on 16 March 2010
Best the potential reader be advised, this book is not easy to read at all. Scripted long before ideas of clarity and layout with bullets/reminders/bold/tips etc were developed to help understanding, which in turn gives better results. There's tons of heavy detail. It might be some's reading style but I suspect not many. There are numerous clearer easier modern Tutors, not all admittedly, that are definitly well worth a good look.
on 2 January 2011
Very well written book. It is a pleasure to go on readind it (which is not the case for most chess books).
Very clear, even for a beginner.
The technical quality of the book itself is very pleasant.
Also, having it is having a piece of chess history.
on 9 November 2010
I would just point out that John Watson, in a 'The Week In Chess' review (number 83, 19 Oct 2007), really slammed this translation. He gave extensive examples comparing this with both the original German and the Hays '21st Century' edition. It appears that the Hays is closest to the original German, being the first English translation from 1933 and retaining the humour and eccentricity of the original. Watson is highly critical of this Quality Chess version which cuts the wit out and is not by a native English speaker.

I have the Hays edition. In it, Nimzowitch deals with basic positional principles such as open files, pawn chains, development, blockades and so on and, in the second part, expands on his more advanced 'hypermodern' ideas. Your chess will likely improve a lot if you are a beginner using part one and more experienced players will find a lot of positional principles to work on in part two. It is generally acknowledged as being one of the most significant chess books ever. I personally will likely get the German version next, given Watson's review. If you don't speak German, try the Hays edition first.

You can find Watson's review in the TWIC book review archives along with Quality Chess's response.
on 6 May 2012
This is the one book on Chess that every player should buy and read. There are hundreds of books on the game, some good, some not so good. Some will teach you something, some will not, but this book will teach every player a great deal and is a must have.
on 27 October 2011
First, be warned!! Beginners should not read this book. My System is aimed at players who already have an understanding of how the game is played, and who play regular chess at any sort of competitive level. To get to the level required to read this book, take a look at my list (apologies for the pitch), read the books placed before it, and ensure you have two to three years experience playing at club level.

This is almost certainly the best chess book I have ever read. If Amazon offered 6 stars, it would get all 6. The book is broken down into two parts: the elements and positional play. The elements alone will improve your game, as they did mine almost immediately. Positional play is much tougher, but it combines the elements in such a way that you learn which sort of positions you should be aiming for, while simultaneously introducing a few new concepts.

Each chapter ends with a schematic that acts as a guide for your thoughts regarding each element introduced. This gives you a lot to think about, but as you gain more experience you find your thought process quickens and soon it will all come very naturally to you.

My System was written in the 1920s, and chess has evolved somewhat since then, but the beauty is that almost all modern theory is based on this book, making it timeless. The proof of this lies in the fact that very few variations offered by Nimzowitsch are put up against a computer for analysis. Nimzowitsch offers some amusing anecdotes and philosophical ideas to help make his point, and even these are still relevant today. The translation for this edition was completely new at the time of printing, and is excellent. It is easy to read and understand, and in the rare instance where further clarification is required, the editor has made his point in a footnote.

I have but one criticism, and this minor. You will need to read this book twice to get the maximum benefit, as some points made at the end will help to make some of the points made at the beginning that extra bit clearer. But it's that good, that even reading it a second time is still a pleasure.