Customer reviews

on 6 December 2013
Interesting idea which could have been properly researched and written as a more believable story. Obviously aimed at the tourist market but suggest you buy something else.
on 16 November 2011
I have just thoroughly enjoyed Bloodlines - Touch Not the Cat by Ingrid Schippers and Thomas McKerley. Bloodlines - Touch Not the Cat takes us to the heart of the Scottish Highlands where an American homicide detective, a member of the Macpherson clan, finds herself drawn into a mystery set in motion I by her ancestors a hundred years earlier.
Cathy is reluctant to go back to her roots at Ballindalloch Castle, the home of the Macphersons for over 450 years but instinct takes over and she comes face to face with the family mystery, the disappearance of the laird over a hundred years earlier.
Flashbacks take us to the life and times of Alexander Stewart, the castle gamekeeper, ancestor of Catherine's partner. We share his love for an earlier Katherine Macpherson and witness the evil way he is separated from her by the laird, and suspected of involvement in the inexplicable disappearance of Gordon Macpherson, the laird.
The story is beautifully paced, moving deftly towards the climax that we have been anticipating since Cathy arrived in the castle.
A wealth of Scottish colour fills this delightful sortie into genealogy as, with Cathy, we experience the land of her ancestors: tartan, midges, highland games, even an explanation of that clan motto, `Touch not the cat!'
on 19 December 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, which hooked me immediately and kept me glued from start to finish - not just because the plot was both fascinating and full of historical interest, but because the authors appear to have invented a whole new genre. A gentle read, it leads you by the hand as you follow the dual narrative and the relationship between the two storylines - but more than that, it is as if you are reading a news report from each era. It's an interesting blend of reportage and fiction, which could have gone horribly wrong, but the fact is that these two have got it incredibly right. It's refreshing that here is a mystery with no blood and gore; rather an invitation to witness the unravelling of one person's pursuit to discover family secrets - with not always the results you expect. I love that there is sequel...
on 22 December 2011
Number of pages: 316
Type of book - paperback
Price: £ 10.99
Publication date: November 11, 2011

This genealogy mystery novel is intriguing right from page one. It goes back and forth like time travel from 2010-11 to a hundred years and more earlier, taking it's readers on an exhilarating experience of the difference in cultures and traditions now and then, in the two continents Europe and America, the class differences and the power play, where the Highland Chiefs held sway. Cathy, the reluctant tourist, is a young ambitious American homicide detective. Shocked from an attack on her own life, after being wounded in the course of duty, she finds herself travelling back to her roots in Scotland for what was to be a clan reunion, and a time to recuperate, but gets caught up in the age old mystery that haunts the MacPherson family, and her detective instincts spring into action.

This book is well written, with a crisp flow and good imagery, and involves the reader emotionally, so very soon you are as interested in shaking out the skeletons in the cupboards as our restless heroine. All in all a very good read for Christmas and the winter days and I recommend it heartily to all.

"Spoiler alert"
On the down side, I thought there was not enough involvement from David, her husband, who had initiated this trip. I had also expected a passionate 21st century love affair between the present day characters to compensate for the disastrous break in the past, but their marriage is less than satisfactory, and seems to have definitely cooled by the time David heads back home without Cathy. However, this story leaves you expecting more to come, as Cathy is not one to sit around idly. Will absence make the heart grow fonder? What will our heroine get up to next? We'll have to wait and see. Looking forward to a sequel M&S!
on 29 December 2011
I found this book a thoroughly enjoyable read. Its toing and froing between the late 19th Century and early 21st Century proved a sure fire way of holding my interest getting me to turn those pages until I reached the end. It is a book that when finished left me with that feel good factor... Need I say more.

p.s. Despite what the heading says this was a paperback edition, not Kindle
on 30 September 2012
As an avid amateur genealogist I had high hopes of this novel but was disappointed. The first half of the book was readable and fairly accurate in its representation of Scotland even though the genealogy content was low. Towards the end though the plot and characterisations became unbelievable and the ending was very weak.
on 25 November 2011
I have just read Bloodlines - Touch Not the Cat by Ingrid Schippers and Thomas McKerley. This story combines American detective with the Scottish Highlands. A true page turner which makes you believe you really are in Ballindalloch Castle. I cant wait for the sequel. More please :o)
on 18 December 2011
A great mix of present and past with a healthy dose of mystery thrown in for good measure! The rich characters and beautiful settings bring the story to life and the subtle twists and seamless links between the past and present day make this a hugely enjoyable read that left me wanting more. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys the best that storytelling can offer.
on 9 December 2011
Excellent read , the story set in a wonderful contrast ie.the Highlands of Scotland and America, is a thrilling mystery novel which kept me guessing the outcome all the the way through. A wonderful piece of descriptive writing by the author which has certainly whetted my appetite to researh my own geneology and wonder if there are any skeletons in my family history.
on 12 December 2011
"Touch Not the Cat" was a simultaneously involving and gentle read. The action rolls along, and I was soon gripped by the mystery of the modern storyline and the drama of the Victorian times. Being of a gentle disposition myself, I appreciated reading a well-told story that didn't resort to excessive violence or base titillation to impress its readers.

My first compliment is to the authors for their cohesive story-telling. I must admit that when I first saw that there were two writers, I approached the book with trepidation. I worried that the narrative split would be rough and irritating. On the contrary, McKerley and Schippers have achieved an astounding unity of voice.

My next compliment is for the meticulous detail and historical accuracy. I must admit that as a writer myself, I prefer to write about what I know or can imagine. I don't have the patience and thoroughness to research history and subsequently paint engaging and detailed scenes (the Ghost Train leaps to mind). Hats off to you for not only engaging in the difficult and consuming work of writing, but for also setting yourself the challenge of doing so in historic times. You have succeeded with aplomb.

On a personal note, as a Canadian who now lives in Scotland, I appreciated the touches of overwhelmed alienation that Cathy felt when she first arrived in the Highlands. I remember feeling similarly in my early days in Scotland.

All that's left to say is that I'm looking forward to the next book. Get writing!