Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Exclusive playlist - Elton John Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 14 January 2016
I only read a small part of this book and what I read did make sense. However, in hindsight it probably wasn't the best purchase I've ever made.

The problem is that when you have a baby when do you really get the chance to read a book? Especially a book of this size. If you do get the chance to read then you must be a parenting genius, in which case you won't need this book anyway, but it may be wise for you to write your own book in order to share the secrets of your success!

Basically what I learnt in a nutshell is don't expect your baby to sleep EVER. There is always going to be a reason for them not to sleep - teething, growth spurt, learning new skills blah blah blah! If anything it just makes you realise that sleep deprivation is something you have to learn to live with for a very long time!

Sometimes it does make you feel better to know that you're not the only one who's child doesn't sleep, so you may get reassurance from reading this book.

Perhaps dipping in and out of sections that are relevant to you would be a more realistic approach than reading the whole book - it's a big book and your child will probably be a teenager by the time you finish reading it. Unless you have childcare, but let's face it, you'll probably prefer to catch up on your sleep if you get some child-free time rather than read a book, especially a book which reminds you about how exhausted you are! Or you may prefer to have a nice hot fresh cup of tea which hasn't been reheated 5 times in the microwave. You could even drink the whole cup. Wouldn't that be a novelty!?

It made me feel better buying this book but to be honest it didn't really help anything. You'd be better off saving your money for coffee and energy drinks.
33 Comments| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 April 2016
I cannot say what a life saver this book has been throughout the 14 months of parenthood I've so far had. I found it was really hard in the first few weeks, and then my husband suggested I pick up the wonder weeks book to look in that to see if any of the behaviour my baby was exhibiting was stipulated in there. I did nearly throw the book at him when he suggested that (when do you have time to read in the first few weeks of a newborn???!!) however, when I did finally pick it up, I was so glad I did. It reaffirmed his behaviour and helped me to understand it. I've recommended this book to countless pregnant women, or women with new babies since. I know you can also download an app, which may help and be more accessible to read during the 2am night-time feed perhaps? I should add that I had postnatal depression too; and this really helped me. Obviously it didn't directly combat the depression, but it helped me understand why my boy was being fussy; why he was clingy, and gave me a relative time frame for how long it would last; this helped me see the light at the end of the tunnel. Suddenly it was no longer a never ending thing; there was an end in sight; and actually I could rationalise it much better. I could understand as best I could what he was going through and how distressing it must have been for him. It also helped me to look out for the things that changed after the developmental leaps; it gave me ideas of games to play with him etc... I really do recommend this book over any other for any parent to be, or new parent.
on 3 December 2010
This book gives an amazing insight into the development of babies and toddlers and has helped me to become a more understanding and as a result happier mum! I recommend it to all new parents!
on 30 April 2016
This is the best baby book I have bought. It's so interesting and really helps you understand the mental and physical development of your baby. Suggestions on how to make the most of the new skills your baby develops is also really useful
on 23 December 2016
Interesting stuff, but sadly I felt it took ages to wade through. It could be cut down to a third of its length without losing much, so maybe it was edited for the American market not the British one?
on 27 January 2015
This was the best book I bought as a first time mum. Had not realised there is an app for the wonder weeks which was only a fraction of the cost - I use the app calendar quite often. The book does go into greater detail and is really a good reference and insightful reading for any first time parent.
on 20 April 2015
Having downloaded the app I was expecting much more detail in the book. Although, It is '.padded out' with additional information I did not feel it was worth the money. Also, the research sample is pretty small and all opinions so not sure how reflective a sample it is. What it dues do is gives reassurance to explain why your baby may be having a dhfficult time, which as a ftm is helpful.
on 15 August 2015
Our little one did not seem to follow any of the leaps and a lot of the things the book said she could be doing at specific stages only made me worry she wasn't developing fast enough when actually she was doing just fine!

Not sure why this book and the app are so popular but I think it's a bit like star signs. A load of BS but some people LOVE it.
on 14 October 2016
I personally think this book is great, and have been recommending it to friends. Having said that, my baby is only 9 weeks old so I can't say if every stage of development will match the predictions... but so far it has explained a lot of his behaviour.
It's easy to read- not too dumbed down but not too complicated for the sleep-deprived brains of new parents!
The calander is handy... I've added the 'leap alerts' to my own calander so I know when to expect a difficult patch- or rather to know why it's happening so I don't freak out and start looking for reasons (oh my god he's got colic/reflux/he's turning into a horrible child!!!) Plus it's exciting to see the developments in him, to understand what's going on in his world, and what will come next, and what I can do to help encourage the learning.
on 8 April 2015
Even if you don't believe in being able to understand week-to-week of your baby's progress, reading a chapter of this book once a month to coincide with your child's age is enough to make anyone feel calmer, reassured and even more loving and nurturing towards their baby. I struggled with breastfeeding at around 6 months and this book helped me to continue, and any times my daughter has been particularly unsettled or behaving unusually, I can usually refer to this book and find solace. It may at times feel like reading a horoscope (that it can relate to any child of any age and isn't quite specific enough), but I have always found it helped me to focus on what my daughter might be trying to learn, and be able to encourage her to do so.

At times, it just stopped me pulling my hair out when she was screaming at 4am, because it had at least more of an explanation for it than I did! I'd say this book has allowed me to understand my daughter better than I could have done had I not read it, as it brings a whole new perspective on what is going on in her world.