on 29 April 2016
This book is exceptional. If you hope to make a living in graphic design, start here. It tells it like it is. Real world business. Read it before you even begin a "creative" career. It won't discourage you, but you will be able to see through your boss's eyes. That's got to be a good career move. Well written in good plain English. I am a technical writer myself, and I enjoyed reading it. I am also geriatric. Seen it all before. But, you know what? It got me thinking. Well done Drew De Soto.
Think like a creative. Act like a businessman. OK.
Design like a God? Could get you into trouble.
on 8 March 2017
Brilliant book for those looking for actual practical design tips and pointers. Have been searching for a book like this for so long. It provides design industry processes, how to manage a project in a professional, 'real world' environment and methods of best practice. An invaluable resource book for those fresh out of university or those nervous about taking their first job to press and want to ensure they have taken all the correct measures to ensure nothing goes wrong. Off to buy the web design one now...
on 7 March 2014
I love this book, even the texture and feel is cool, its well thought out. Great read and some super tips, I actually got it for the advice on how to deal with print setup etc. A cracking buy for any designer whatever their field. I have ordered the new one on portfolio/interviews, can't wait to read it. Also awaiting stock on Web Design book. Quality Book.
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 September 2017
I've so far only read the first chapter, but I can already tell this is going to be invaluable in becoming a professional designer. It's written in a clear, easy to follow manner, so its not a chore to read. The page on copyright protection really made me sit up and go "why didn't I think of that??", and I have high hopes for the rest of the book.
on 20 May 2014
This book is a must have for every graphic designer out there, whether you're just starting out or you're at the top of your career. This book provides a wealth if knowledge for the reader, whilst taking you through processes step by step. There are handy hints, a glossary of terms (very useful!), and also little sketches along the way to further illustrate points.

This book is written by someone who knows and who understands how the creative mind works, and rather being a guide on how to be a designer, this book offers something more; a first hand, original, witty and thought provoking document full of advice that will help you grow and develop as a designer.

Having bought this book I would definitely recommend it to anyone out there who works in a design field. I can't wait to read the rest of his work.
on 18 October 2017
Amazing book. As a graphic designer that just moved to London and with spare time to use on the train this book is a great company. The content is still up to date to refresh or update your knowledge.
on 19 June 2017
Great read for any budding designer – be prepared to mark your book as you'll be annotating and highlighting a lot of stuff. Belongs on every graphic designer's bookshelf. The chapter I found the most useful was 'Working' – detailing how best to manage your time and the project.

Beautifully designed too
on 20 July 2017
One of the most helpful books I've ever read. If you're new to the game and want to learn about graphic design then this is the book for you. The information in this book has been incredibly useful for the recent projects I've been working on.

If you're not buying it, then you're missing out!
on 10 April 2017
A different design book that could really open your mind in some facts. I have also read one of the other books of this author (the portafolio book) and I have already bought the web design one. I really like how this author share his knowledge. I would recommend them.
on 6 January 2018
I am not a graphic designer but have to do it for work (argh) so i ordered this book to try and give me some help! Its well laid out and amusing in parts as Drew doesn't get too serious. Its the need to know points and i think it will help me along!