on 17 February 2012
As with all graphic design books I buy (and I buy a lot!) I bought Know your Onions because I liked the look and feel of it. Beautiful binding, excellent stock and some sexy typography - it's a gorgeous book. However, I hadn't actually expected to learn much from it. I thought I knew it all having worked in the graphic design industry for 10+ years.

Turns out I didn't know it all. The author is not only extremely knowledgeable in his field but he also has some excellent time-saving tips that I never would have thought of using. I especially enjoyed the section on the principles of typography.

I would recommend this book to anyone in the design industry whether they're starting out or have been in the industry a lifetime. There's still plenty to learn as I just have.
on 7 March 2014
I love this book, even the texture and feel is cool, its well thought out. Great read and some super tips, I actually got it for the advice on how to deal with print setup etc. A cracking buy for any designer whatever their field. I have ordered the new one on portfolio/interviews, can't wait to read it. Also awaiting stock on Web Design book. Quality Book.
on 21 June 2014
I bought this book to help me with a couple of personal projects and to give me an insight into design. I've gained so much valuable info and some cheeky tricks in less than 200 pages, its fantastic. This book is kept on my desk and opened every time i'm at my computer for reference. The sections about printing, layout and file formats are really good, covering basics and more. I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone who works in design, anyone who wants to get into design or works closely with designers.
on 7 November 2013
A modest, intelligently written and beautifully put together book on the design process that is instantly accessible and packs a powerful creative punch - whatever your level of expertise.

Reading this book, it's like having a one to one tutorial with the author. Warm, witty and full of tips that can only come from experience, I found it hard to put down. Not only was I instantly engaged with the content but I also found myself actively starting to think in a different way.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone involved in - or interested in - the design process, whether a fully fledged creative or talented amateur: you certainly won't be disappointed - and could learn a lot.
on 7 March 2016
Great book. Really helps. However the title was misleading as I just wanted to learn about onions and which you should use for different salads. Good job I am a graphic designer and was able to put it to use anyway...
on 12 October 2013
I'm a damn fine stand-up comedian, not a graphic designer. Drew is a damn fine graphic designer, and it turns out a damn fine comedian. If only you knew the truth.
I had an idea for a book and had used various online sites to try and turn my idea into a reality. They only took me so far. Drew and his book took me further. His insider knowledge on the industry as well as his thorough knowledge of graphic design and running a graphic design business is outstanding and laid out extremely clearly in his book. Plus he made me laugh. Once out loud on the tube. Heads turned to see what funny book I was reading. A book on graphic design? Who would have thought it? The biggest thing is realising the stuff that you see looks good on a page but don't know why. Drew explains it all and how to do it. So, hopefully, my book, because of Drew's, may find its way into the big wide world.
on 29 April 2016
This book is exceptional. If you hope to make a living in graphic design, start here. It tells it like it is. Real world business. Read it before you even begin a "creative" career. It won't discourage you, but you will be able to see through your boss's eyes. That's got to be a good career move. Well written in good plain English. I am a technical writer myself, and I enjoyed reading it. I am also geriatric. Seen it all before. But, you know what? It got me thinking. Well done Drew De Soto.
Think like a creative. Act like a businessman. OK.
Design like a God? Could get you into trouble.
on 7 July 2015
I loved reading this book. For starters it is designed beautifully (as you'd hope for a book on this subject to be) - it's a pleasing size and if you're a stationary nerd you'll enjoy the materials its been made from.

I'm not a qualified graphic designer, I'm self taught in the Adobe Creative Suite packages, I dabble in illustration and love picking out fonts. Reading this book has inspired me to finally go and get a graphic design qualification. Even the bits that aren't yet relevant to my day to day work, like the ins and outs of printing were interesting.

I liked the author's sense of humour and turn of phrase - it wasn't patronising or too jargon heavy. I would imagine this is a handy book to have around even if you are a qualified graphic designer with a few years experience under your belt. It never hurts to read for inspiration or a new point of view.

One tip - maybe don't read this on the beach like I did - the cover tends to absorb sun cream (-:
on 8 May 2015
Such an easy book to read, once I started I couldn't put it down.

The content is easy to follow and well divided so can be picked up again as a reference at a later date. As a second year Graphic Design student I found it invaluable to my education and I suppose future career as it taught me everything from printing to paper to terminology and shortcuts!
on 4 October 2015
To be honest I am not a person to read a book. I feel being more visual is better, but with this book it has helped me out more than I thought it would. I have to say I wish I bought this book earlier on, the knowledge is really useful and helps through all areas of the Creative Industry. Truly would reccomend this book to anyone that is wanting to start out in the design field.