Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Exclusive playlist - Elton John Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 7 March 2016
Great book. Really helps. However the title was misleading as I just wanted to learn about onions and which you should use for different salads. Good job I am a graphic designer and was able to put it to use anyway...
11 Comment| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 March 2014
I love this book, even the texture and feel is cool, its well thought out. Great read and some super tips, I actually got it for the advice on how to deal with print setup etc. A cracking buy for any designer whatever their field. I have ordered the new one on portfolio/interviews, can't wait to read it. Also awaiting stock on Web Design book. Quality Book.
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 June 2014
I bought this book to help me with a couple of personal projects and to give me an insight into design. I've gained so much valuable info and some cheeky tricks in less than 200 pages, its fantastic. This book is kept on my desk and opened every time i'm at my computer for reference. The sections about printing, layout and file formats are really good, covering basics and more. I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone who works in design, anyone who wants to get into design or works closely with designers.
on 17 February 2012
As with all graphic design books I buy (and I buy a lot!) I bought Know your Onions because I liked the look and feel of it. Beautiful binding, excellent stock and some sexy typography - it's a gorgeous book. However, I hadn't actually expected to learn much from it. I thought I knew it all having worked in the graphic design industry for 10+ years.

Turns out I didn't know it all. The author is not only extremely knowledgeable in his field but he also has some excellent time-saving tips that I never would have thought of using. I especially enjoyed the section on the principles of typography.

I would recommend this book to anyone in the design industry whether they're starting out or have been in the industry a lifetime. There's still plenty to learn as I just have.
11 Comment| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 November 2013
A modest, intelligently written and beautifully put together book on the design process that is instantly accessible and packs a powerful creative punch - whatever your level of expertise.

Reading this book, it's like having a one to one tutorial with the author. Warm, witty and full of tips that can only come from experience, I found it hard to put down. Not only was I instantly engaged with the content but I also found myself actively starting to think in a different way.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone involved in - or interested in - the design process, whether a fully fledged creative or talented amateur: you certainly won't be disappointed - and could learn a lot.
on 29 April 2016
This book is exceptional. If you hope to make a living in graphic design, start here. It tells it like it is. Real world business. Read it before you even begin a "creative" career. It won't discourage you, but you will be able to see through your boss's eyes. That's got to be a good career move. Well written in good plain English. I am a technical writer myself, and I enjoyed reading it. I am also geriatric. Seen it all before. But, you know what? It got me thinking. Well done Drew De Soto.
Think like a creative. Act like a businessman. OK.
Design like a God? Could get you into trouble.
on 26 March 2017
on 26 July 2012
This book is so much more than I expected. As mentioned in one of the previous reviews, I agree that it is like talking to an experienced designer, picking his brains. And yes, he is witty.

The binding is beautiful, the quality of paper inside too. I will read this book from cover to cover and keep it by my desk.

Thanks for sharing 25 years of experiences Mr de Soto.
on 8 January 2016
This is a great book for me. I am not from a creative background but find myself in a creative environment now.
In my experience books in this area tend to be full of fluff and pretty pictures or so elementary as to make you want to cry with exasperation at the waste of resources spent on publishing the bleeding obvious.
It is clear without being a Noddy guide, and detailed without being repetitive or overly detailed.
on 4 October 2015
To be honest I am not a person to read a book. I feel being more visual is better, but with this book it has helped me out more than I thought it would. I have to say I wish I bought this book earlier on, the knowledge is really useful and helps through all areas of the Creative Industry. Truly would reccomend this book to anyone that is wanting to start out in the design field.