on 10 September 2014
Found myself underlining every second sentence of this book! Contains information and tips that are going to be invaluable to me as I start my career. It is clear that this knowledge is built up over years of experience and I feel privileged to have access to this! Thanks Drew for this great little book.
on 19 May 2015
Now, I'm a student studying industrial design at university, but I saw this book and couldn't resist after reading the copious amounts of positive reviews. This book is the perfect balance of informative and comedic. I've learnt stuff about graphic design that I genuinely would never have even considered, and it made me feel like an idiot (but Drew makes sure to let you down slowly).

Aside from the fact that you'll genuinely learn a ton from this book, I can understand if you are apprehensive because it's not cheap. But it's not cheap for a reason. If you are going to buy this book, you are going to read it, re-read it, show it off on the tube a bit because it's so cool looking, then give it pride of place on your bookshelf so you can admire that beautiful orange spine.

This book is a work of art.

Read it, scribble in it, circle things, hang onto it, then when it's barely held together with masking tape (from all the times you've gone back to reference it), hand it down to your kids to learn from.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 August 2014
A great source of advice for anyone starting out in design, or even seasoned professionals looking to pick up a few new tips along the way. Loads of practical information, but not at all an intimidating read.
on 19 February 2013
After reading the multitude of glowing reviews for this book, I decided to pick it up and experience it for myself. Having flown through it in a matter of hours, I'm already eager to offload it and get back the money I spent.

If you're after a book that will look nice on your desk, and explains it's concepts in no more depth or insight than a Wiki article or dictionary definition, then this book is for you. If you're also a fan of forced and over-used colloquialisms and poor, repetitive humour, all the better! Add to that: a smattering of grammatical errors (in spite of the author's insistent advice to check your work), a positively distracting kerning issue (design choice?) in the paragraph text throughout, some questionable advice, and the author's bizarre tendency to employ terms he hasn't yet explained, and in some cases, never gets around to explaining. The latter is the most grievous error, especially for newcomers to design. One might find themselves Googling an unfamiliar term, only to wonder why they don't just forgo the book altogether in favour of an afternoon on Google instead (I would highly recommend this, above all).

The book's tagline sets expectations high - "design like a God". It won't help you do that. You'll be more familiar with some design language, and the author has included some worthwhile business/communication tips at the start of the book, but you can get better, more coherent information elsewhere, for free. This is nothing more than a lazy, lacking collection of concept introductions that barely scratch the surface or come anywhere close to being useful. Avoid it.
77 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 February 2016
I bought this as I've worked away from design for quite a few years and wanted to refresh my memory. It's actually all pretty obvious stuff to anyone who's worked in design at all but the book serves as a handy checklist and would be valuable as a student resource.
on 30 December 2015
As a self taught designer I've found this book very informative.
Everything is explained very well and it's difficult to put down once you start.
I would recommend this book to anyone.
on 11 January 2013
I have been a designer for approaching 9 years ranging from in-house Mac Operator to Senior Designer working on accounts for large brands. I have a history of buying design books, reading around 10% and then looking at the pictures. I wasn't expecting this to be massively different but was attracted to the blurb and description.

It turned out to be excellent. I found the tone and content was light-hearted, inclusive, relevant and insightful. I learned some excellent tips and found the parts which I already knew to be reassuring and comforting that others experience the same challenges that I do. The paper stock and finish is also very pleasing, spot colour orange and white print onto uncoated stock on the cover with a delightful nod towards the ubiquitous Moleskine notebook with the elastic strap and folio pocket inside the back cover.

The authors obvious experience is condensed down into a well written and useful tool - both as a reference book and a general read, I would have benefited from such insights immensely in my early days... A must for the beginner and professional alike.
on 19 March 2012
Any good chef will tell you that an onion is a versatile and essential ingredient adding flavour and definition to a dish. Drew de Soto's 'Onion' certainly flavours the stew of creative design!
I came to design thtough the back door of fine art and consequently have often wondered if, despite many years of practical drsign experience, I have been missing out on tricks learned on graphics degree courses, or through an unwillingness of jealous designers' to pool knowledge.
With Drew's easy to read, informative and humourous 'onion' I am now able to perfect the recipes for gourmet design! Thanks for sharing, maestro!
on 21 January 2014
Excellent in every conceivable way. Very easy to read, stuffed full of tips, guidance and witty bits. Buy it. Now.
on 29 March 2012
A 'how-to' guide with a difference, this book takes the reader on a journey from the bottom to the top of the design industry, covering more than the basics of being a designer. As an aspiring designer myself I found this book unbelievably informative and I would highly recommend it to anybody starting up in the design industry, or anybody interested in the life of a designer. Check on the full review of the book I posted on my design blog at [...]