on 20 March 2017
These are very useful, you can pore over them over a pint or a coffee. Check it in the street without screaming tourist at one and all. And do all your work before you go and add stuff when you get there. You can add, beer, pubs, pronounciations and phone numbers.
Custom make your own city guide. The maps handy too. But only if you've someone who can read one. They'll slip into a pocket without any bother
on 20 March 2017
Again we use these wherever we go. Decant all the stuff from various guides and weekend papers. It doesn't matter that by the time we get there it's something else. It saves carting loads of guidebooks out. Or pulling out your iPhone and getting mugged.

Even better, you can write your significant others phone number in it, so you can ring her/him/it when you do get your mobile lifted.
on 3 May 2016
I purchased this city moleskin for our mini-moon trip after been given the Paris notebook as a birthday gift by a friend, and now cant imagine going away without one! I love the style and layout of these books. I would say its half scrapbook and half guidebook. There are comprehensive maps of the whole city, useful information and tips for your trip. They are both like, and unlike a guidebook in that you can document your own adventure, make notes of things you’d like to do, take notes, keep snippets from your trip and have something personal to look back on after you have left. Because who would look back through a guidebook after your trip? Since guidebooks are now becoming obsolete with websites like lonelyplanet, trip advisor etc and our ability to use online resources, I think this is a much better and much more valuable option. Especially for round about the same price (or cheaper than) the average guidebook. I still look back through these and remember things we did fondly. I particularly liked the tracing paper provided and the little pocket at the back for cards from restaurants/ ticket stubs etc that you might otherwise lose.
on 27 January 2016
The first time I've been disappointed by a Moleskine notebook. I expected a more conventional size notebook, not a pocket sized notebook (my fault, should have checked the dimensions), however, while I understood there was room for notes, etc. I thought there'd at least be included a listing of major sites, museums, theatres, etc. There were none. No information regarding trains (although there is a route map for water buses) or any other type of public transportation. Also to mention, I was charged £12.50 and note that a day later the price is £3 cheaper. So with postage, I paid £16.50 essentially for a blank pocket sized notebook with a map. Disappointing. I could have bought myself a proper guidebook from any good book shop and written my notes in something much cheaper. I usually love Moleskines, but this was not worth the price. I'll be returning.
on 31 August 2011
I bought this in advance of a trip to Madrid, and it appears to have everything I could need.

There's a map of the metro, several pages of city maps (only the city centre, but I won't need much else) and then lots of pages for notes and scribbles. The notes pages are broken down by tabs, with seperate sections for food, drink, hotels, sights, etc, and a number of blank tabs so you can make your own dedicated sections. There's also a healthy number of blank pages, a section for names/addresses, a handy block of tracing paper, and a document pocket at the back for business cards and whatnot.

I think the real value in this will come from years of shared use with friends and family, as it's the perfect tome to build up your own travel guide. I'd happily shell out for the other city versions if/when I visit those places.
on 9 May 2013
It's depends what you want from the journal. I hoped for a little bit of Paris specific information but apart from the maps they don't really include much. Love the tracing paper and being able to write my own tabbed sections but would probably offer something a bit smaller and cheaper. I wouldn't do this for all the cities I go to.

Good idea if you are spending a long time in one city i.e. a few weeks at least or go back to the same city repeatedly otherwise you will struggle to fill it
on 14 August 2015
Brilliant product, cracking price on Amazon. Four stars as the pages are so fine, the pen shows through to the other side. On the other hand, the folk at Moleskine have managed to pack in a lot in a small package. Would definitely recommend.
on 8 July 2017
It's a very Paris centric note book (which is why I purchased it), superb if your visiting Paris as the map section is fantastic, I can't fault it at all.
on 9 May 2013
I have used moleskin travel books before and found the details you can add about a place before you arrive is invaluable. We were constantly seen using our home made guidebook and found some hidden gems, especially in the food areas. I have always liked the fact I could find and review a place or experience in the book, to constantly update the guidebook and as a record of frequent visits.

As a negative the book is very small and the maps can be quite hard to read, especially the water bus route map, but it does fit well in a handbag or pocket. Excellent quality as you would expect form a Moleskine.
on 13 September 2017