on 30 August 2016
(I purchased the red squared notebook, but I am writing my review here because I think more people are likely to read the review on this page.)

Rather stupidly, I decided to buy this Moleskine notebook BEFORE reading the reviews. I've only used one Moleskine product before - the pocket sketchbook - and I was impressed, so I was expecting this product to be good as well. I instantly felt regret over my purchase as I read all of the negative reviews about ink bleeding through the paper, the squared lines being too dark and the bindings falling apart after a month. It seems that the quality of Moleskine notebooks has deteriorated dramatically over the years. It was too late to cancel my order, however.

My Moleskine arrived today and I was surprised. It contains 240 squared pages. The size of the notebook is 13cm x 21cm, so a bit narrower than A5 size. Despite all the reviews, the lines are not too dark (photograph attached). I also tested out some of my pens and while there is ghosting (you can see the words when you turn the page), my pens did not bleed through the page. Don't get me wrong, the paper IS thin, but as long as you write lightly, and you don't use any permanent markers or heavy felt tip pens, then you should be fine, but if ghosting bothers you a lot then this isn't the notebook for you. I think the ghosting adds some character to the pages, and if you're filling up both sides of the sheet with words you probably won't notice it. Perhaps I received an older Moleskine notebook, rather than a newer one manufactured recently to have darker lines and thinner paper.

I've only had this notebook for a day so I can't comment on the binding but perhaps after a month or two I will edit this review and say how it's holding up.

Overall, I'd say this is an OK notebook for the price, but there are many journals out there with better paper quality (Piccadilly, Silvine, Rodia, Leuchtturm e.t.c.) If you are looking to purchase this book for bullet journaling uses, then I would probably recommend the Leuchtturm1917 instead, especially if you want to start an "aesthetic" arts and crafts bullet journal. The Leuchtturm1917 has 249 pages, and you can get the journal with lined/squared/dotted/plain paper. There are many more colours as well. The paper is thicker and more ink proof, and all of its pages are numbered in a small font. It also comes with a table of contents in the front, and some perforated pages in the back. The Leuchtturm1917 is more expensive though, at around £12, but if you can afford that then I would say get the Leuchtturm instead of the Moleskine.
review imagereview imagereview image
on 2 April 2016
I use Moleskin notebooks one per year for my Bullet Journal [...] . It's a great way to keep track of your lists and keep organised. The Squared Notebook is the perfect size as I am able to add a monthly calendar on one page without it being too small and there is enough pages to last me a year with a few pages left over.
I buy the hard backed version as I archive these after a year and I find that they are the most durable. The squared paper allows you to keep your lists and tick boxes neat and in column and also helps if you need to draw and plan things out. Paper is the usual Moleskine quality and it has the pocket in the back which I don't tend to use much for this size of notebook. It has the page marker ribbon and the elastic closure and closed a certain way (see pic) it will even hold your pen. This is one of three different Molskine books I have and I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend it
review image
on 19 December 2017
Really disappointed: bought one of these two years ago and used it to death and loved it -- I have just bought replacement(s) and they have changed the paper! It was beautiful and didn't bleed through but the new one does bleed through. I use an ink pen and thought maybe that was it but went back to check in my old book and where I used the ink pen there it didn't bleed through. So I switched pens to a v-ball type pen and that bleeds through too. I hate ball point pens (sticky ink) and feel aggrieved that I shall have to write in pencil to make this notebook workable. Whoever the product manager is who made the call to change the paper -- bad decision! Yes, your customers care!
on 25 November 2011
So many Moleskines, so many reviews... Why do people get so excited about a notebook? The prices here on Amazon are unbeatable and so that's always a good starting point but you may still think they're expensive despite that. This is a premium product though, it looks and feels expensive. Colleagues glance covetously at it and surely that's enough reason to have one?

This squared variety is my second Moleskine (the first was the lined variety) but after living for just a month with this beauty, I already know my third will also be a squared one. There are more 'lines' per page than the, um, lined one and I like the ease with which you can turn the book 90 degrees and the format makes it comfortable to write in a straight line! (By the way - it's a hardback even though some of the reviews say otherwise).

I use this to take notes at meetings, to sketch visual interpretations when trying to explain my thinking to colleagues, to draw mind maps and also to capture my thoughts whilst travelling on the train. I carry it around everywhere with me at work and it's part of my 'brand'. I use it every day of the working week and fully expect it to last a whole year, as my last one did (Sept 2010 to Sep 2011).

If you haven't had a relationship with a Moleskine before, please jump in and try it. You'll never go back to any other type of notebook.
on 17 January 2017
I suppose it's fine. It has pages you can write on, what more do you want from a notebook?
Well, I've discovered with this purchase that I have more exacting standards than I thought. I bought a square-ruled moleskin about 18 months ago, my first one, and it was so much better than this latest purchase. In this latest item the squared-lines are much more heavily ruled than before which makes all my notes look scruffy somehow and the elastic closure feels slack and poorer quality than before. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.
on 2 January 2015
This is my perfect notebook.

Wanted to buy a notebook and took my time to go through Amazon reviews about different products, then settled on the Moleskine brand. Not dissappointed!

Pros:
- Size. This size which unfolds to a square is perfect for me as other reviewers also found. You can write on one page or over both and for images, diagrams, flowcharts I find it perfect to use to full square.
- Paper quality is very good. You can really use every paper, the ink dries quickly, feels sturdy and good quality.
- Overall design. Really good design: The texture of the book, the different features including the envelope pocket at the end. Cool.

Cons:
Only con would be that this item is a bit pricey, but I find that the money is very well spent. Have decided to buy only Moleskine notebooks from now on.
on 30 March 2011
While still waiting for a perfect pc notebook to arrive (it should be light like netbooks, even lighter, yet be fast and fully functional, at least for basic office-on-the-go tasks and video - hope that my wait will be over soon) I still prefer to use an old-fashioned way to make notes, i.e. with pen and paper.

I have found my perfect pen long ago (Uni-Ball Micro Deluxe UB155 Rollerball (Blue, Pack of 5 Pens)) but notbooks I used before ( Pukka A4 Jotta Metallic Squared ) were OK, but nothing more.

When I needed a new one, I decided to make some research, so I found Molskine.

WOW.

No, seriously.

If you appreciate the joy of hand-writing you'll immediately understand what I mean. The quality of the paper, cover, bondings, everything, is impeccable. There is a nice bit of history attached to it as well, although it is not the same company that made the original Moleskines used by Hemingway and others, I am happy that someone did a great job is recreating such beautiful products.

I have bought 2, A5 and pocket size variants, both are perfect, each for it's own purpose.

You will not be disappointed to get one.
on 10 January 2017
I have used this notebook to capture ideas, lessons learned, approaches taken etc when working on projects and consultancy assignments. The gold mine of information I have accumulated over the years has helped me out time and again. The squared layout has been particularly useful - Helps keep notes lined up, with drawing and sketching etc. These are robust notebooks. Mine have had plenty of use over a number of years and are still strong and look good. I love 'em!
on 28 April 2014
I'm a moleskine fan, but only of the black, hardcover versions.

They look classy, offer consistent quality, and they are tough. You can carry a moleskine around forever, and even if it gets a bit battered, it only acquires a classier look.

The square pages somehow give a more artisty feeling. You could use them to write in lines, to draw, to paste stuff. Pages are personal preference, but I think squares are a good option to expand you creativity, particularly if you can't handle completely blank (no lines) pages well.
on 9 March 2013
I love moleskin notebooks. They are expensive compared to other alternatives, but I think it's worth it. They keep extremely well. This one is replacing my old full notebook which I carried around everywhere for 12 months, and it's still perfectly intact, the binding is still fine, and notes are protected by the good quality hardback cover. I love the fact that it opens flat easily. I tired red and black notebooks before, and found it was awkward to keep the book open when taking notes - not the case here.
The squared paper is my favourite too, ideal for making quick diagrams and writing text too.