Format: Hardcover|Change

on 11 March 2016
This is one of those decks which has been made up out of an artist's existing oeuvre. Royo's work is particularly unsuitable for this purpose. Imagine trying to choose the Queen of Swords when you have a dozen half-naked women wielding swords to choose from. And then you have to find a berth for the other 11.

Whoever the poor Bob Cratchit was who was given the job he went in for a lot of windy declamation leavened with a bit of barely detectable Rider-Waite.

5 of Chalices - Fingers that do not feel sensations. The fire has gone out but the raven has not forgotten beauty.
This is a woman in an almost shredded strapless dress reclining on one elbow in front of a huge raven with a long tail. She wears a glove with three steel claws.

XI Strength - The strong sexual force. The kingdom of the physical. The ghost which feeds on desire.
This is the usual half-naked woman dominating some kind of hairy man-thing, pulling his head back by his hair and about to drive a very complicated pointy thing into his throat.

XII The Hanged Man - This is the altar of sacrifice which lies between the past and the future. The balance which exists between necessity and freedom. The scream of repentance.
This is a woman, naked except for a belt and holding up behind her shoulders a muslin veil, straddling a very decayed zombie in the sexual position called cowgirl. She is seen from the front and the zombie's head is thrown back revealing that it is almost a skull.

We also note that among other things, the Hermit is "where the nymphs of sensitivity live." No wonder I couldn't find them in the phone book.

No, you buy this deck for the pictures (I know I did) and you won't be disappointed. Four stars for those and no stars for the Little White Book.

If you really want to use it as a tarot deck I suggest you map Rider-Waite onto it by spending many happy hours scrutinising the cards for some detail, however trivial, which you can use as a mnemonic for the meaning in each case.
on 15 March 2013
I'm by no means an expert tarot reader, but I rate this deck 5 stars because of the art. Its sensual and sexual dark fantasy so if naked women and sexual themes isn't your thing then don't get it. The other thing I like about it is its not what you'd call a traditional tarot deck, it is partly but this deck urges you to interpret the cards and figure out the meaning from your own unconscious, instead of giving you 2 pages for each card explaining the meaning and symbolism. So i think its worth it because in my opinion the tarot is an intuitive art and not utilizing the rational mind to seek information. So its all about what the imagery on each card says to you personally. I personally connect to these images because this is my type of thing. Perhaps its not everyone's cup of tea but for me its great.
on 5 September 2015
Luis Royo art on cards. Quality is excellent. I'm a big fan of Luis Royo work and these cards give me a mini library. I don't do tarot so I can't comment on the tarot cards use.
on 10 January 2013
They are amazing, they are very accurate and small enough for me to use. They arrived on time and the instructions are clear. I like these cards so much.
on 23 January 2015
Lots of New pictures in this set of cards that I haven't seen before