on 1 October 2001
I first read this book in Portuguese ( I'm Brazilian ) , many years ago. It was a magic experience. Then I read it again in the original Spanish and it was a different book, not because of the translation, as I have read it many more times since and it is ALWAYS a different book! That's what is magic about it: it is such a rich narrative, with so very well defined characters, that all the people who inhabit the surreal pages of this book stay with you for years to come, but each time you go back to it it feels like you're meeting them for the first time. I also realised that I always forget the ending, regardless of how many times I read it... I put it down to magic, it's the only logical explanation. It will all come clear when you read it and fall under it's spell...
on 21 December 2009
I bought this book during my first year of a University diploma course to complement my Spanish studies but found it real hard work. On further investigation, I discovered that it is in fact difficult even for a native castellano speaker to understand because GGM uses a vernacular that is peculiar to the Atlantic coast of Colombia/Venezuela.
If, like me, you are an angloparlante, I suggest perhaps reading the English version first before deciding on buying it in Spanish.
However, there is no doubt that it is a super tale (although Ursula's longevity is a bit hard to believe)and undoubtedly represents the best of the Nobel Literature Laureate.
on 16 November 2012
Cien años de soledad (Biblioteca Garcia Marquez) (Spanish Edition)

I thought I was fluent in Spanish until I decided to read this book in Spanish. I was proved so wrong! The book is brilliant, amazingly written and an incredible story line but it is written in a regional rather that standard Spanish.. Luckily enough, Amazon dictionary in my Kindle is helping me most of the time to make sense of a few words. I would like to say that I found quite lots of words unknown to me and felt pretty bad until I noticed that the Kindle's Spanish Royal Academy dictionary was experiencing similar problems in recognising some words - not as many as I but quite a few nevertheless.

Thanks Amazon for making dictionaries available free of charge on Kindle devices.

I have yet to finish reading this book but already planning to read the English version. Actually, I was planning and looking forward to read the English version until I found that the Kindle version is £28.46!

I know that a faithful translation must be a nightmare but £28+ for an ebook? I think I will go for the paperback edition for around £6

So far this book gets 4 stars out of 5 only because of the use of a Spanish dialect. I will update my review as soon as I finish reading it
on 17 September 2015
Pésima edición. El tamaño de las páginas es DIN-A4, con lo que es incómodo de transportar. Tiene errores tipográficos. Además el interespaciado entre líneas es muy pequeño, lo que cual dificulta la lectura.
on 28 September 2014
I bought this book primarily to practice reading Spanish. García Márquez has a deserved reputation as a masterful writer and this book is absolutely incredible. The story is incredible, the characters are incredible. Easily the best book I've read in a long while. Definitely in the top ten works of the 20th century!
on 23 November 2003
Who could possibly fail to love a book in which one of the characters is so beautiful that she is followed wherever she goes by a cloud of yellow butterflies, and men faint when they see her? Another, a girl who carries around a sack containing the bones of her dead parents, which can be heard quietly clunking around during the dead of night?
This is the some of the magic that is One Hundred Years of Solitude, the socio-political realism that of the stark horrors of the Spanish Civil War.
Marquez's creativity, imagination and descriptive prose is wonderful. He is surely one of the greatest writers of the twentieth century, certainly the greatest in the genre of magic realism, and 'One Hundred Years of Solitude' one of the greatest books.
Marquez is one of the few authors whose prose is so beautifully written that I have had to read passages over and over again. 'One Hundred Years of Solitude' is easily my favourite book.
I have even named my cats after his characters.
on 12 April 2012
Esta es la segunda vez que leo esta obra de la literatura, Gabriel Garcia Marquez transporta a sus lectores a el mundo del realismo magico, me hizo totalmente feliz. Leerlo en mi Kindle fue lo maximo!!!!
on 26 June 2015
100 years of solitude, by Gabriel García Marquez (distinguished with theNobel Price in Literature) is a masterpiece of the Latinamerican literature. I would reccomend it to anyone who's willing to better undetstand the north South American thinking and culture.
on 14 June 2014
I'm still reading this book and I am loving it. A very interesting story about a village called Macondo and the Buendia family. Make sure you get hold of the Buendia family tree as it can be quite confusing. Very sadly we have to say goodbye to one of the greatest contemporary authors of the time.
on 10 August 2014
Well where can I start, I just simply think is a great book well detailed and written! I would recommend it to any one to read it, the spanish or the english version.
I also think a movie Director should make this into a film it will be a great hit and success!