Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 February 2009
Hacía tiempo que tenía ganas de leer este libro pero sólamente por curiosidad, para ver porqué se ha convertido en un "best-seller" y ha sido traducido a tantísimos idiomas. No esperaba nada de su lectura y tal vez por eso, ahora que lo he leído, estoy tan contenta de haberlo hecho en lugar de haber dejado pasar más tiempo y tal vez acabar ignorando el libro y no leyéndolo nunca.
Ruiz Zafón logra evocar la Barcelona de mi bisabuela y mis abuelos con gran talento. La novela es muy envolvente, te transporta. Si conoces Barcelona puedes sentirte paseando por sus calles en un viaje en el tiempo. Si no has estado en Barcelona, puedes imaginártela fácilmente capítulo a capítulo.
Me ha gustado del libro su trama misteriosa y dramática, que me ha tenido en tensión hasta el final y que no falla a mitad de relato (como pasa con libros como "The Davinci Code"), así como las referencias constantes a la historia de Barcelona y España desde finales del siglo XIX hasta la post-guerra civil española.
Los personajes están muy bien dibujados, con gran relieve. La narración es muy rica en detalles anecdóticos que hacen a la historia y sus protagonistas muy creíbles.
A mi abuelo le hubiera encantado esta novela. Y a mi me hubiera fascinado poder comentar con él toda la información dada con tanta habilidad y a tan rápido ritmo por Ruiz Zafón en este libro.
Recomiendo su lectura a cualquiera con ganas de hacer un pequeño viaje en el tiempo y disfrutar construyendo un puzzle capítulo a capítulo.ASIN:0307472590 La Sombra del Viento (Vintage Espanol)]]
on 20 January 2006
This is a beautifully written book, wonderfully evocative of post civil-war Spain. It's probably the best book I've ever read - I couldn't put it down and stayed up all night to finish it! Now I've had to buy the Spanish version to enjoy it in it's original form. Apparently there will be more in a series, and I can't wait!
on 5 January 2005
This book has really surprised me. When someone got it for me as a present I was expecting an uniteresting drama about a book, however I found it excellent both in terms of content and in terms of style. The fact that the story is not about the book that is introduced at the beginning of the story but about the life of the author who wrote it is very surprising. It held my attention throughout the whole book and allowed me to imagine all corners of Barcelona even if I don't know the city very well. Highly recommend it.
on 26 January 2011
I have now read all Carlos Ruiz Zafon's books, and must admit I am desperate for him to write another. He conjures up the past, and visions of evil so well that it is a surprise to find La Sombra Del Viento has a human outcome, especially after the malevolent Angel of the prequel! The links between this and it's prequel, El Juego Del Angel are fascinating, but not overstated.

As others have said it cannot be put down, and also as others have said please read it in Spanish if you can. And dont miss CRZ's earlier 'childrens books', El Principe de la Niebla, El Palacio de la Medianoche, Las Luces de Septiembre and Marina. If those are 'childrens books' then many a Spanish child must have had sleepless nights!
on 20 July 2005
Following the enormous success this book has had in Spain and abroad, I decided to purchase it. And the novel it was not a dissapointment at all. Ruíz Zafón has written a nostalgic, hard and grey story. Exactly as it was Spain after the civil war. And that is probably one of its main values. The ability for depicting the misery and lost that people felt in those terrible years. La sombra del viento drinks, literally and literarily in the sources of the most classical tradition of novels in Spain. Since Pio Baroja, to Galdos and the whole generation of the 50's. A careful depiction of sceneries and people that helps the reader to get into the story. And even when this is a mistery novel we can find also some slight touches of the traditional "feulletin". So I would say it is a very enjoyable novel. Easy to read, very well written and I had a great time reading it. But, yes there is always a but , there is not so original as the beging made me thought. The idea of a cemetery of books was really appealing but slowly the story turns to be a good thriller written with a very good style. And the end although correct for the developement of the story left me wanting more. No more drama or story but depth. I have the feeling the writer wanted to end as soon as possible, and this is really disapponting.
Ruiz Zafón has the skills and the manners but I think he could be more adventurous and reach the last consequences of the story.
on 17 December 2010
La Sombra del Viento has been on the best seller lists in many countries because it is not only a cracking read but also gives us a splendid insight into life in Barcelona before and during the Civil War. The story is woven round a book - La Sombra del Viento - but books in general feature prominently as we follow the growth of a young boy to manhood together with his battle to uncover the dark secrets of the author's life.

Zafón writes beautifully and his descriptions of Barcelona will impress even those readers whose Spanish is less than perfect - like myself. The book is available in English but, if you can, read it in the original Spanish. You won't be disappointed.
on 4 November 2010
This is absolutely not the kind of book I normally read. I bought it because I wanted to read a novel in Spanish and it had such great reviews. Having started the book I could not put it down. I was completely swept up into the story and each day I spent more and more time reading it. The tale is multi-layered and needs a great deal of concentration or you can become lost in its intricacies. The characterisation is brilliant as is the scene setting.
on 25 May 2014
I am still reading this book so can't give it a true rating, but so far I'm really enjoying it. I read this first in English and found it a good read. Struggling through in Spanish I'm forced to go at a much slower paced and so get to enjoy the richness of vocabulary and the humour in the language.
on 4 November 2014
Good. Just what I needed for my Spanish class. I tried several second hand bookshops, library sales, charity shops etc but with no success. Amazon solved my problem at a press of a button. Regards Aslam.
VINE VOICEon 6 November 2013
I read this in Spanish after it was recommended to me. It took a bit more time than had I read it in English but it is a superb book. Great characters and plot. The other book by the author I read was Marina which while supposedly a children's book, it didn't disappoint either.