on 8 February 2014
The Conquest of Happiness is, of course, another Lord Russell classic. However, the edition that you perhaps see above (Amazon blends reviews of different editions), specifically the one which features these statements on the cover: "TIMELESS Concepts for TODAY" and "Media-Eight Self Help Classics", whose publisher (scroll down) is listed as Media Eight International, this edition is most likely not the edition you want. This is a sort of guide to Russell's original book, with a commentary on the elements, distilling what they think necessary for the ultimate self-help work out, not for a jaunt through the philosophical woods. Not a word of this book is from Bertrand Russell.

The edition you really want, and no other, is the Routledge Classics edition: The Conquest of Happiness (Routledge Classics)

Disregard any other edition you find, it is most likely not the edition you're looking for! (I found out the hard way...via a refund process)

M.J.P.
11 Comment| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 April 2014
A case of misleading advertising. This is not the book you are looking for. Borrowing words from another review not a word in this book was written by Bertrand Russell .
on 12 June 2014
The book I received was not Bertrand Russell's Conquest of Happiness, but a modern commentary on it, which refers to it, but contains none of the original's text. The "read inside this book" link on the site is completely misleading. I was disappointed and felt I had been tricked into buying something I didn't want. I am returning the book and requesting a refund.
on 11 September 2014
All the ideas mentioned in the book are valid. People who read self-help books and reflect about the way they live, will have probably thought or come across similar conclusions. It does feel good when several sources affirm your thoughts.
I was disappointed that this book was not the original. After reading through the chapters, it appeared that this book was written by someone else summarising Bertrand's ideas; he uses his own style and reads like a self-help book. He does make it more current by giving examples from our time which is good. When I bought this book I expected it to be that written by Bertrand Russell and was interested in how he writes his thoughts. If I just wanted a summary of the ideas I could have found them on the internet or youtube.
Overall it was still a good read.
on 13 June 2014
THIS BOOK IS NOT THE BERTRAND RUSSELL TEXT I WANTED BUT SOME SUMMARISED 'COMMENTARY' ABOUT THE BOOK.
WRONGLY DESCRIBED IN THE ADVERTISEMENT AND TOTALLY MISREPRESENTED.
VERY WRONG AND POOR SERVICE FROM AMAZON.
on 2 February 2015
This edition is NOT Bertrand Russell's book. It is merely a commentary on Russell by an unidentified and inferior author.

If the edition you are looking at says "Timeless Concepts for Today" on the cover and is published by "Media Eight Self-Help Classics" then DO NOT BUY IT.
on 26 July 2016
Very useful, plenty to discuss. Published in 1930 but works now too. Useful for a reader of any age. An antidote to our frantic, bitchy, angry,selfish times.
on 2 August 2016
All I can say about this is. WOW. Excellent product. Accurate positive reviews. Would highly recommend for the price. Unbeatable.
on 29 December 2014
This isn't Russell's book, even though it says it is! It some sort of self-help book inspired by Russell's original book. I was really disappointed, because I really wanted to read Russell's book.

Edit april 2015: I complained both to Amazon and the publisher around Christmas in 2014. The publisher responded that the book would be withdrawn from Amazon, but, judging from the reviews, this does not seem to have happened yet, unfortunately.
on 25 November 2015
I am delighted with this purchase. Exactly as it looked in the picture. In excellent condition. Arrived very quickly. I could not be happier.