on 14 May 2014
The subject matter & story is simple, stark even and it is written simply but effectively - which is what brought it plaudits and its author the highest awards. It is a realistic portrayal of a period in the life of an poor, old Mexican(?) fisherman (and a young friend) and his battle to hook and land a huge fish. I read it to my son as a bed time story when he got a little older - I think I probably enjoyed it more than him! As an angler myself, I found the descriptions believable and compelling. But perhaps the thing to get out of this book is its simple yet effective use of language - worth studying.
on 11 May 2017
Obviously a brilliant, timeless story but such a shame that the editing in this version was so poor. If you can look over the mistakes then this version is fine.
on 25 October 2014
This isn't a book I would normally have picked to read, I saw a list of classics that you should read in your lifetime, this was one of them so I thought I'd give it a go.
I'm glad I did, the story of Santiago's battle with the sea and the giant Marlin is fantastic, you can feel his exhaustion and desperation as the days go by, trapped on his small skiff miles out at sea.
Give this book a go, you won't be disappointed.
on 30 January 2013
This short novel sits nicely next to Steinbeck's `Of Mice and Men' as a pair of brilliant stories that everyone should read, at least once. The Old Man and the Sea does not have the tingling conflict of Steinbeck's masterpiece, but it does picture, with some drama, the struggles of an ageing line fisherman with poverty, bad luck and a magnificent fish which should have marked a change in fortune. An epic struggle, more between man and fishes than man and sea, sees the fisherman no better off, save in esteem. A little dour in places but the detailing is fascinating.
on 27 June 2016
One of the best books ever written. It's just so simple yet complicated at the same time. You can almost smell the ocean and imagine the things vividly. This is one of those books that make you want to be a writer. I've read it over and over again. There always something new to it. 5/5 stars. Amazing! Splendid. A genuine classic!
on 5 May 2015
A true masterpiece, and an enduring work of art. Probably Hemingway's greatest book. If you are taken by Hemingway's style then you will surely find this simple tale to be powerful and moving. As Thomas Wolfe wrote later 'I held on like the Old Man and the Sea'.
on 27 September 2016
I've never been able to get into Hemingway, not sure why - I've tried. Read this in a few days though. A wonderful yarn about loneliness, memories and tenacity (at least that's what I got out of it). A short book and a very good read
on 9 August 2015
This book is a classic. Stories like these are the reason for the macho image of Hemingway. High quality literature in short story format is rarer and rarer these days but this is a shining example from a time when it was a flourishing artform
on 2 July 2013
To cut a long story short, the narrative is simple and at times monotonous, especially if you don't know much about fishing, but the end was delightful and really makes you ponder over certain aspects of your life. Personally, it made me appreciate the smaller things and see them under a different light. It also made me want to get my dad's canoe and start a fishing career in the Cuban waters and form a strong bond with an old Cuban fisherman. But that's just not going to happen.
on 3 December 2017
The Book itself is a "must read" for anyone, it is not just about catching a Marlin. The book has been reviewed by countless people since it was written and needs no further words from me. The downside was that some mindless person had stuck an adhesive bar code label slap bang in the middle of the paper jacket cover..... NOT Clever at all. Particularly as I had purchased the edition as a present for a Friend.