on 4 November 2015
Scary if you are a twelve year old who likes hand held wobble-cam, split screen and cut aways to green screen segments.
It is a comedy horror for a juvenile MTV audience, but not for anyone who appreciates anything truly frightening, like The Shining
or The Exorcist. Mr Zombie has a cult following, but he's not my cup of tea. As a John Carpenter fan I suppose I am
still shocked that Zombie thought he could improve on Halloween, which he certainly did not achieve. So perhaps I
am viewing 1000 Corpses with a degree of bias. For me, this is comedy, not horror.
on 29 March 2004
Rob Zombie has stated many time he has always been a fan of CLASSIC horror films. What he created here has every cliche of the horror films of the 70's and 80's..but with a mordern twist and AWESOME music...the characters are really twisted and you cant seem to look away at the scariest parts...this film will have you on the edge of your seat at times, laughing like crazy te next, but either way you will be FULLY entertained
on 22 December 2014
Starts out promising enough but just descends into cliched gore fest with little discernible plot. I love Rob Zombie don't get me wrong, just I think he should stick to making music and stay out of film-making.
on 20 August 2005
I bought this film basically because it was cheap, but to my suprise it is a shocking film. Excellent effects, twisted characters and plenty of gore. I could best describe it as the texas chainsaw massacre with more money (although nothing will top texas). If your a fan of the "horror genre" eg funhouse, black christmas, texas chainsaw, the hills have eyes, evil dead etc, this film is for you. Im glad to have it in my collection. Be warned though its not for the faint hearted!!!!!!!!
This is an odd film really that I had high hopes for. I saw Rob Zombies sequel to this, called the 'The Devils Rejects' and loved it - I was really blown away by it, so when I found out about this, essentially what is part 1, I had to see it. Sadly it doesn't compete on any level... other than the fact it has Sheri Moon in it. Sheri Moon = Hubba Hubba.

This film was all over the place - not in the way the story unfolded but in the way the film was made. At times it felt very well done, at other times it felt amatuerish and cheap. At times the sets and effects looked great and felt like a lot of money has been spent on them, and then at times some of the old-school film effects looked terrible.

The film was not anywhere near as good as The Devils Rejects, which you really must see. And where as that felt more like Tarantino's Natural Born Killers, this did feel very B-movie horror... but then I guess it's meant to.

Fans of the genre should enjoy it, and it's worth a watch if you've seen and enjoyed the sequel. But If you haven't this is probably the one occasion I'd advise you to watch the films back to front, because if you don't enjoy this it might put you off what is a really great piece of cinema: The Devil's Rejects [Blu-ray] [2005]Sadly though, 'House of 1000 Corpses' can't compete.

One thing I will say though, is that this is probably the best DVD I've ever seen quality-wise. Upscaled on my BluRay player, it looked amazing... better, sharper and crisper than any other DVD I've seen and better even, than some of my BluRays. 4 stars in places, but 3 stars overall from me I think.
on 25 July 2013
One of Rob zombies finest films, not only is it bloody but has some funny moments though out the film. Rob zombie to me is the master of blood and gore. From start to finish is just blood and screams. Not a scary film as such but if you like blood and gore it's a must watch :)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 May 2016
One of my all time favourite horror films. It's not an original story but it is fantastic in it's execution and filled with lots of humour, stylish bright colours and good scares. I adore the character of captain spaulding and he is supported by a great cast. I can watch this one over and over again.
on 5 December 2013
Jerry, Bill, Mary, and Denise are two couples out on the road in hopes of writing a book on offbeat attractions.

When the four meet Captain Spaulding, they learn of the legend of Dr. Satan. When they take off in search of finding the tree that Dr. Satan was hung from, they pick up hitchhiker Baby.

When their car breaks down, Baby invites them into her house. This is where they meet the Firefly family, a murderous clan of bizarre people.

As the family attacks the unsuspecting couples, Jerry and his friends try to survive the titular place and it's secrets....

This film has got tot be the prime example of a love it or hate it movie. I can truly understand why so many people dislike this film, it is all over the place, and it's very nasty too.

Lucky for me, i'm in the other camp, and i found this movie to be a wonderful homage to splatter exploitation movies of the late seventies and early eighties.

It's as if Zombie has taken the list of the video nasties that were banned ere in the UK, and melded them together to make some vicious love-child of the slasher genre.

It's gruesome for sure, and if your not sold within the first ten minutes, you'll stay that way.

The performances are maniacally over the top, but work for this, and Zombies grimy style of filming really makes a difference to the overall effect.

If you like exploitation splatter movies, this is for you...
on 28 March 2004
this movie is abosoloutly amazing!a movie directed by rob zombie,as a big fan i had high expectations but then when i tunrned the movie on my expect\tions went higher,straight away i was in love with this film,the twisted characters and great soundtrack bring the film to life and get you hooked!its a gorefest from start to finish a must see for anyone seeking a simple,gorey,sadistic b-movie like horror film!!
on 3 January 2005
With the sequel "The Devils Rejects" coming ever closer, there is more of a reason to see this original horror masterpiece. As many have said this film is similar to "the texas chainsaw massacre" and even Tobe Hooper (director of original TCM) said this film was "One hell of a great horror movie".
The remake of TCM marked a turning point in horror movies as it had proved to be actually scary and used a formula true to olden day classics, movin very far away from very bad 90's "Horrors". Along came "Cabin Fever" and "saW" which were just as horrifying and beautifully disturbing as The remake Of TCM. "House of 1000 corpses" was not making the huge entrance into the media that it deserved and this instant horror classic deserves to be just as well recognised as these other great horror films. Sure, its abstract and humerous but its also very sick and twisted too and im looking forward to "Devils Rejects:House Of 1000 Corpses 2". And really you should be to.
Hope this review was enough to persuade you to at least rent this movie as it isnt always the most obvious thing to get thats placed on the shelves.