Customer reviews

on 26 September 2004
I have always been something of an obsessive fan. I was immediately drawn to Debbie Gibson the first time I heard Only in My Dreams, so naturally I had to have more than just her CDs - I had to have her videos and concert videos, as well. This particular VHS was basically the first of Debbie Gibson's video releases, and it centered around her first four music videos from the mega-hit album Out of the Blue. It also features interviews and a look behind the scenes, making it a great buy despite its relatively short running time of 25 minutes.
Debbie Gibson was a great musician and singer, she was gorgeous, and she was my own age, and that explains my own infatuation with her during my teen years. I still enjoy watching these old music videos today. Gibson's youthful energy enthused her music and videos with something fresh and exciting, as can easily be seen in the videos of Only in My Dreams and Shake Your Love - the latter, by the way, was choreographed by Paula Abdul. Out of the Blue is not the best video in the world (and it is the first to reveal Debbie's penchant for wearing silly-looking hats), but its faults are more than made up for by the moving video for the ballad Foolish Beat.
The interviews are also interesting. Debbie Gibson was still only fifteen at the time, and she talked about the long commitment that led to her "overnight" success and her commitment to the music business as her career. You also get to hear from her mother and meet the guys in her band (several of whom embody 80s hair at its worst and most frightening).
Obviously, this is and was a video for Debbie's most devoted fans, and I for one am glad I bought it way back then, as it's all but impossible to find now.