on 2 July 2010
This had appeared in my recommendations for a long time, and it always seemed to be suggested along with anime art/drawing books. This made me think that it was an art book with phrases, so I was greatly disapointed when I saw it was a basic picture book. Granted the faces are cute, it has hiragana and the phrases are for a variety of emotions so they're relatable. But I learnt most of these phrases from watching anime, so there's nothing new there. I am a basic drawer, so I was hoping for something to teach about expressions and faces, but unless I trace the pages it's not going to help me at all. I won't keep it for myself, I'll try and find something who has a beginner's interest in Japanese culture to pass it on to.
on 6 May 2009
Little book with lots of little phrashes in Japanese and then in english, doesnt show you how to draw the expressions but can easily be drawn. Simple drawings but very effective, brightly coloured. Both boys and girls with expressions like grumpy and giddy, frightened and bewildered, celebratory and lovesick. 40 different faces and 80 phrases for such a small book i would definately recommend this to anyone interested in anime and manga. Yokatta! (awesome!)
on 14 September 2008
This book is tiny, cute and definitely a gorgeous gift for any manga fan, however, I bought it to improve my own grasp of facial expression and find it less detailed that I expected, and also it would not be as helpful as something which explained why you are for example raising the eyebrows or dropping the shoulders of your character.

The images are however presented beautifully and acompanied by phrases in Japanese - perfect for a fan. All of the characters are done in the same style which is very helpful and they're all really pretty. - and all very girly - something you may like to take into consideration if buying for a guy. The book portrays the actual emotions and moods well, and the phrases are fun.

Some of the titles do not seem to match up with the images - for example the malicious one is coupled with the phrase "some day I'll rule the world" and the image is different again, however this just makes the book extra quirky.

It's super small - which is something I didn't expect - but still well worth it. It's packed with the good stuff.
on 8 February 2009
I recommend this book for any girl.
Young or old, New to Japanese culture or someone who's loved it for years, If they like cute things you can't go wrong with this super adorable book!

I bought this as a gift for my friends little sister (11) because I thought it would help her to draw manga characters with different expressions and teach her a few phases that she could spout. Well it was just perfect.

The book itself is quite small (about the size of my hand), hard back with a cover, and is great to leave lying around or in a bag so that you can just pick up and flick through it when your feeling a little down. The emotive characters are sure to bring a smile to your face or inspire you.

I'm going to buy another one for myself! (If it helps, i'm 16.)
on 22 June 2008
this book is surprisingly small in size comparison compared to my large manga collection, but the facts it packs is pretty awesome, ok where to start?

when it says ''faces'' it also means ''emotions/expressions/body language'' although they are all face shots, the level of detailing in them is uncanny, every gorgeous illustrated picture has been coloured to perfection using CG (computer graphics)and the work is nothing short of astounding, alongside with each face are 2 phrases that relate to the picture your viewing it shows you the Japanese phrase then an English translation in brackets below it, so you learn a bit of japanese while viewing the faces! the reason why i 5 star'd this item is the sheer amount of work thats been put into such a small book, some of the expressions/faces don't exactly match up to their title name, but what do you expect with CG art? i'm an CG artist and i find it damn hard to pull off realistic expressions. its actually quite a feat to actually achieve 40 different expressions. Also in the back of the book, it displays ''The 46 Basic Hiragana Characters, Contracted Hiragana and two dash and one circle Hiragana'' which for those of you who don't know are Japanese symbols. this book is pretty much a must have for lovers of cute anime and typical anime expressions, this book would also be perfect for manga illustrators/artists/beginners its a handy little expression book not much bigger than your hand :D
on 3 May 2009
I read in another review that this book was a lot smaller than they were expecting, so I was half expecting one of those tiny palm sized gift books. However it's a fair bit bigger than that! The content is very useful as a REFERENCE book. It doesn't teach you how to draw step by step, although it's pretty easy to get the hang of. You just copy the eyebrow, mouth and eye positions!
on 17 December 2013
lovely book with some nice illustrations. Please note that this is not a book with useful phrases. An example of what it does contain is Happy, that Japanese word for it and a pronunciation and an anime happy face. I brought this for a friend moving to japan. I have it myself mainly cos i like the pics
on 9 July 2012
Currently trying to nail the Manga style so bought this book hoping for some decent facial references / expressions. It's OK but not quite what I was looking for. If you're after a book that will teach you some cool Japanese phrases (book could've done with some phonetic pronunciation stuff though) and a few cute illustrations then this isn't too bad. It'd make an excellent stocking filler for a Manga obsessive just cutting their teeth though.
on 2 January 2010
I was at a friends house who simply loves manga and is brilliant at drawing it when i came across this little book on her desk. Once i flicked through it i just had to have it! another friend brought the same book and one of my best friends sister got one too and i was like "i need one of these books or my art will suffer!"

It just arrived and i wasn't surprised at the size as i had flicked through it before but its just so amazing

i carry it with me all the time, its really useful for art and i just love it to bits

***** stars! you just have to have it!

(By the way i am 14 ;) )
on 21 April 2010
Very simply put this is an underrated drawing aid.

It is compact
It is unbelievably cute
It is simple to understand

Basically its a little book with cute manga facial pictures and two phrases which are relevant to the expression being portrayed.
For a manga artist who travels this is a handy little reference tool to carry with you.
Or for people who like manga cuteness
For people like me this is a great buy