Customer reviews

on 26 March 2008
I bought this on recommendation and am delighted with it. The 'homestyle' dishes may not reflect current trends in Japan, but these are dishes I've been served by my grandmother-in-law and in Japanese Inns. The book is certainly full of the 'homestyle' dishes I wanted to replicate.
Everything is clear, the step by step instructions are accompanied by photos, the layout is unfussy and easy to follow yet somehow seems stuffed with useful additional tips and advice. All the tools and utensils you would find in a traditional Japanese kitchen are shown and explained so that you can make an informed decision about suitable substitutes.
As long as you have access to Asian markets (I live in London so can get most of the ingredients) this is highly recommended as a simple, straightforward and friendly, encouraging guide to competency in a Japanese kitchen. I just wish I'd known about it years ago. I've not seen, nor can I imagine, anything better.
on 13 August 2010
Very authentic , translated from Japanese and gives you a good insight in Japanese home cooking. I particularly liked the explanations about the food presentation.
on 24 April 2010
Read the title.

I learn best with images always have always will.

This book shows you how to do it :) Very helpful for an amateur like myself
on 14 September 2011
Nice book and easy to follow/do recipes. However a lot of the ingredients are hard to find here in the UK, so keep needing to google to find an alternative. Other than that - nice recipes.
on 21 September 2014
I'm Japanese and I bought this for my British husband to cook me a Japanese meal when I'm sick etc. Good basic instructions for food preparations and traditional recipes.
on 24 November 2011
Excellent book for a beginner with clear, easy to follow instructions. Brilliant pictures,shows many different methods of preparation, advice and presentations.
on 16 June 2010
This is one the best recipe book that I've purchase. She covers most of the basics like how to prepare the ingredients and the tools to use. All these is brilliantly organized with lots of graphical illustrations that make things so much easier to follow. That's what I like - simple instructions with lots of pictures to show how. Thanks Madam Tokiko Suzuki.