on 25 January 2000
I have only recently become more enthusiastic about cooking and have never bought cookery books before. I actually wasn't going to buy this book as I assumed it would be very dull and simplistic and wanted the River Cafe cookbook. In the end I decided to buy both but never expected to use the Delia Smith. I am however really pleased with the book, it is far from boring and their are many recipes suitable for entertaining which are really original. It does read as though you know nothing but I find all the recipes very well explained, for example they tell you how long you need to prpare the ingredients ahead and to preheat the oven/grill! For anyone who wants a foolpoof set of recipes which create quite impressive meals I really recomend it.
on 20 January 2000
I love to cook and have used Delia's books for many years. I find it difficult to be objective about her, as she has always been my favourite from a young age. However, I still believe the series of "How to Cook" and the associated books to be unequalled. Many professional chefs criticise these books as an insult to the intelligence. They are really missing the point. Delia does what she does best. She introduces cookery in an enjoyable, easily approachable way, to those who would otherwise be terrified of the idea of using a kitchen for that purpose. At the same time, she provides great cook books for people who have experience of such matters. The extremely delicious results speak for themselves. I would recommend buying book one first, but apart from that one qualification, this is an excellent book and along with book one should be a first choice for those intending to become more proficient in cookery, whether from scratch, or building on previous knowledge and experience. Great recipes for people who love their food but don't feel compelled to be involved in the pretension which often surrounds food.
on 19 April 2000
At first our 27 year old son was not too happy to receive Books 1 and 2 for his birthday present but is now fully won over. Two reasons for the conversion are the many tips that you normally learn by trial and error and because all the recipes work.
on 12 January 2000
I LOVE food and cooking, but who has read and can confidently critique a recipe book? Not me.....!!,
but Delia appears to have taken on board the criticism of book one and assumed some basic kitchen knowledge. I am not quite sure that Delia's interpretations of recipes are entirely accurate, nor the illustrations exactly what one might expect from the pukka dish, but judging from the lists of ingredients and cooking techniques they will provide an extremely satisfying dish.
My impression is that Delia is not restaurant chef material, not that she claims to be, nor should I or you expect her to be - she cooks for a domestic environment. However if book one is anything to go by, you will have extremely failsafe recipes and should have no qualms in trying the recipes as I have done.
If anything, it should give you the courage to experiment with recipes. My view and experience is that recipes should not be a bible - they should be a guide, trying the recipes will give you confidence to experiment and try something different - Anything to do with the texture and volume e.g. rice, flour, leave in, else drop the ingredients you don't like e.g. chillies might not be to your taste, but you really like ginger. Include something you do like and drop those that you do not. You will have a ball trying all the recipes out and experimenting. Just don't substitute chilli for ginger in the lemon and ginger cake - I haven't tried it, but experience tells me that it will not work. Just Do it - taste and adapt along the way.......
For the Amazon price you can't go wrong - I recently paid closer to £20 for a book devoted to sauces by a famous chef - you still need the ideas where to apply the sauces, whereas Delia tempts you towards a complete dish.
I cannot recommend the book highly enough for the ideas. However I strongly suggest that most recipes ARE treated only as ideas, not that the recipes are wong - look at your store cupboard and experiment. That is the only way you 'Learn to Cook' - by trying things yourself to see how they work together. If you have already bought book one you will be pleased to see that the new recipes are much more interesting and are probably much more ready for the experimentation I suggest.
I still give it 5 stars because the recipes seem to all work - give yourself 6 stars if you create your own better recipe.......
on 21 February 2000
I was very pleased to receive this book for Christmas. To me, Delia's a hero, I just love her recipes - they're are not necessarily for people wanting to diet, but they are simple and very delicious. This book makes me feel nostalgic, because before I left home, my mum used to cook recipes from her previous books. I will now continue to cook her recipes for my children.
P.S the shepherd's pie is a firm favourite in my family - it is better than any supermarket bought one.
on 10 February 2000
I own loads and loads of cookery books and Delia remains tops in my opinion for excellent advice and recipes. I bought the book last week and have read it from cover to cover.
on 18 June 2001
Excellent recipe ideas, though it's hard to get hold of some of the ingredients here in Japan (lamb, whole poultry, etc.) The char-grilled tuna and the shepherd's pie are my husband's favourites!
on 1 February 2000
My mum wanted this book for Christmas, but after I ordered it I felt she probably couldn't cope with the new fangled ingredients so kept it myself! (Purely a selfish act I admit.) We had the chocolate creme brulee for our millenium party and have got to say IT WAS FANTASTIC. I made most of my boxing day dinner with it and can't wait to get going on some of the more unusal recipes for some up-and-coming dinner parties. This isn't kid's teatime food - this is adult grub - Delia has come of age. Go on - chuck out the fishfingers.
on 18 May 2013
I already had book one that my granddaughter was showing interest in when she came home from uni so I picked up books two and three second hand on Amazon and gave her all three.She should be able to turn her hand to making most things now.:)
on 17 March 2000
These books should be presented to every student on graduation day so that at long last they can stop eating baked beans and pot noodles every day. Delia takes you through the learning to cook process easily and interestingly. I used both books to make the 'perfect' roast dinner and it was absolutely fab. The Shepherds Pie was delicious, I made enough for 4 and my boyfriend ate for 3! A must for all beginnner and not so beginner cooks.