on 12 February 2009
This was bought as a present for my dad for Christmas. We are all getting into diving and found the book an excellent reference tool. For the money though I was really expecting a large A4 size hardback with massive photos inside. The book itself is a fairly small approx A5 sized hardback which definitely does not look like such an expensive item. I know size isn't everything, but at the price point and given the type of book I would have much preferred a nice Encyclopedia size reference edition. I also think they could chuck in a couple of submersible identification charts as these are a nightmare to get hold of, cost next to nothing to make and would be an ideal accompaniment.
on 16 October 2013
I went snorkelling in the sea of Greece for the first time in many years and used the opportunity to try to take some photographs of the local fish. When I attempted to identify them using my old Hamlyn and Collins Field Guides (Campbell and Luther& Fiedler respectively) I was reminded of how poor were some of their fish illustrations, many of which seemed to have been painted from a slab. Consequently I hoped that a photographic guide might provide alternative information. In many ways it did. Some of the fish look much more natural and easier to recognise. However, I think the books suffers from trying to represent too big an area. I realise, for example, that Grey Mullet are difficult, but concentrating on a smaller region might have allowed more species from that area to be covered. Some of the illustrations are a bit self-indulgent: I can see why the author wanted to show his picture of a male peacock wrasse showing off in front of an octopus; but it is not a particularly good illustration of a male peacock wrasse.

Never-the-less, the book is helpful and I recommend it.