on 2 September 2012
I bought this book as I am going to Berlin for the first time in a decade and wanted to learn a bit more about this part of the city's history. The book is quite small in size - at first I was a bit surprised, I hadn't read the size details on the website as it didn't occur to me that it would be important. Despite initially thinking that I had perhaps bought a dud as it was so small, a quick glance through turned into me sitting there reading it for ages.

There are plenty of interesting details and photos and some great links to other resources, which have given me some more ideas for things I want to see while I am there. The history of the wall is covered comprehensively and I recommend this to anyone with an interest in Berlin. Having been a bit taken aback by the size of the book at first I am now glad it is so compact as it means I can slip it in my jacket and refer to it when I am in Berlin visiting the sites it mentions.
on 24 January 2014
Informative and interesting. Having been to Berlin twice I wanted to know the background and history. This is what I needed plus some very good photos. I have knocked off one star because the print is very small and difficult to read at night.
on 25 April 2013
I purchased this before a visit to Berlin a few weeks ago. I read sections before going & am now reading it cover to cover after returning as i can relate to it better now having visited & seen areas where the wall ran & some remnants. An interesting & informative book.
on 8 April 2013
Having seen the old East Germany at first hand, I found the book very true to life and very informative.
I would recommend thks to all students and historians.
on 28 August 2015
The paperback version is slightly larger than 'pocket size', has 250 pages and is very comprehensive. It documents the entire history of the 'Berlin Wall' in a style that is very easy to read, plus it contains many historic pictures and fascinating statistics.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book, and now have enhanced memories of Berlin.
on 3 August 2016
After a visit to Berlin and the Berlin Wall with no knowledge of its history. This book was a great insight to the history of the wall and the GDR. It covers all aspects and goes into good detail about the political situation with east Berlin, the USA and Soviet Russia. Great images to compare how times have changed. Well worth the money.
on 6 May 2014
I bought this book when doing my thesis, which was related to the Berlin wall. Besides its size this little book was quite descriptive and useful. It summarizes the important events during the emergence and existence of the wall with the appropriate amount of details that makes it very informative, interesting and easy to maintain and remember the facts. The pictures and graphics help a lot the reader really comprehend the complex technological processes involved as well as the various spatial and social relationships that the border formed and imposed, through the collection of narratives and the presentation of important data and figures.
on 12 January 2014
Bought this book after reading a fiction book that briefly mentioned the Berlin Wall, that awoke an interest on this historical event. When this book arrived I was a bit sceptical as it's the size of a small pocket book and it's handling and feel are the worst. That on a negative note, on a positive note this book gave me the right amount of information to at least understand what so may people went through on their daily life's. It's pictures are excellent and very informative.

At least for me the most important thing of a book is how well they put across its information and this book succeeds on that. The only reason this book did not get the last star for me, was due to its size.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 February 2014
Have been a long term fan of Berlin since I was stationed near there during the cold war and the book has photos which bring back those thoughts.
on 20 February 2016
I wish I had purchased this before I visited Berlin. A very interesting book, pocket size & full of facts. A bargain.