on 9 January 2011
When this book arrived, I got tingles on my skin before even tearing the cellowrap film off. It is a lovely big, solid, high quality coffee table book.
I must say it ceratinly looks like it was worth more than I paid.
Having said that I was disappointed with some awful inky smudges found throughout the book. They appear to be a manufacturing fault, which I assume has affected many many copies of this book. There was line type edge ink damage on several pages, and at least 5 pages contained some very bad ink smudges on the white pages larger than a 50 pence coin. The smudge on page 26 directly opposite the marvellous photo of Neil Armstrong was most disappointing.
If not for these blemishes littering the book, I would have "LOVED" it.
Glad I didn't pay £69,000 for the moon rock edition!!! Imagine paying that much for smudges? I would never pay more than £500 for any book ever anyhow. Mind you I would have loved one with a rock and Buzz's signature if I had the money and would have paid over £1000 for those two extras. I did work as a camera operator filming Charlie Duke (another Apollo astronaut and moon-walker) during an interview he conducted in south-east Australia, so to me, that was a very special day I will never forget.
Now I've raved on and grizzled about smudges and blemishes, more about the content of lovely lovely MOONFIRE...

As many critical reviews have already been written about the author of this book, I will not comment on this content, other than the fact I have enjoyed reading what I have so far, and that the highly respected writer and poet Norman Mailer has written this with a flair and enthusiasm very unique and faithful to the era of Nasa's moon missions. There is more text contained than I originally thought, but I say that only because this book was clearly marketed as a COFFEE TABLE book and I simply wasn't expecting so much text. Cannot wait to read it all over the coming weeks.
I genuinely bought this book for the pictures! They are beautifully printed and the choice of images plus quality of reproduction is the best I have ever seen. And even better, there are many many photographs which I have never seen before. And I have many many Apollo era books.
This book is fantastic! Buy it just for the lovely pictures.
Photographs of real men walking on the real moon!
I really get annoyed and ill in the stomach when ill informed people say man never went to the moon. This is so disrespectful to the 400,000+ people involved with the wonderful Apollo programme. A horrible rumour started by an awful US TV network years ago which led to many ill-informed documentaries, and many ill-informed people believing rubbish explanations.
WE WENT TO THE MOON and WE WALKED ON IT!!!
Truly mankind's greatest achievement thus far.
AND we need to stop wasting money and lives on stupid wars and get back to the moon as soon as we can.
Humankind must explore...
on 1 October 2014
Stunning book of rare and previously unseen photographs of the entire Apollo Program from the early 1960's through to Apollo 11's triumphant return.

Highly Recommended to Space Historians and anybody interested in the 1960's not just Apollo 11 fans.

Some of the double page photos are outstanding and extremely rare.

Very Highly Recommended.
on 27 July 2015
Tis is an excellent book to add to the space collection its a smaller book wich you can take with you anywhere to read instead of the table vertion which you have to leave on the coffee table at home. Exatly the same and its hardback. picture quallity and printing is excellent.
on 20 February 2016
The pictures and captions are truly awesome and save the book. Thank god they do because apart from a few sections when he is actually talking about the mission the writing is utter drivel. He just goes on and on about nothing. What a shame but I will treasure the pictures.
on 11 November 2010
Fantastic photos and captions, and great to see the images at this large size.

I'm afraid I stopped the reading the Norman Mailer so-called "seminal" text after about 20 pages. He is passable when doing descriptive prose about a scene, but his frequent lame and self-obsessed attempts to distill out profundities are unconvincing, and remind one of a schoolboy trying to show off. I feel he is out of his depth dealing with the magnificent achivements of the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo space programmes and that the book would benefit from a text from a journalist or writer with something more sensible to say.
on 28 February 2017
Beautifully produced book, with many excellent high quality photos. I would preferred the text to have been more of a documentary or factual nature rather than Mailer`s self indulgent rambling story.
on 15 September 2013
The perfect gift for my boyfriend, arrived in good time and in perfect condition.

It's a great looking coffee tab,e book
on 17 June 2010
Really good book - great photos and text - captures the spirit of the time.
on 8 March 2016
Incredible book!
on 8 August 2010
Getting a coffee table book with mostly well known and often published photographs plus a shortened version of a previously published text makes this book a little high priced (and way overpriced in its "limited edition", not to mention the editions with real lunar rock selling 600+ pounds) in an area where many books and films cover this in itself unique journey to the Moon.

for less money you may find more interesting books and photos. But possibly not as coffee table book or show-off book.