Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 June 2012
Before revealing the contents of this book, I will tell you that I always buy a guide book before I go somewhere new. Wouldn't you just hate to come back from Egypt without having known in advance that they have pyramids there and a river called the Nile. Ok I exaggerate a bit, but in all the years I have gone to Tenerife and Gran Canaria, I had ignorantly assumed that Lanzarote is much the same. The fact is that in the same way, I have only recently discovered how delightful Madeira is. Flicking through this all colour guide, I know that I have a spectacular desert and moonscape of rock and huge caves to explore. This might set alarm bells ringing for those who will never leave the pool, as Lanzarote appears to be charming and interesting more than commercialised. If you are considering taking children, the book warns of the lack of things for children to do unless they enjoy sun, sand, sea and exploration. For those less able, some of the island may be less accessible too. I am going in July and will report my findings. However, it is already clear that prices are reasonable and the food is rustic. The book is similar to many travel guides in that it divides into various areas and tells you what is available in each location. Thus if you fancy riding a dromedary through the volcanoes or a descent into a cavern, you look through the pictures to find out more information. The Euro price has, at my time of writing, moved favourably against the book conversion chart, which shows the Euro price in pounds and vice versa. Flights at the moment are also historically low, due to competition from new airlines. If you are American there is a dollar chart as well and good on you for being so adventurous, as there are no direct flights from the USA. This is a small guide that easily fits in a pocket or handbag and is slighly taller than a standard postcard. It is not encyclopedic. It basically covers a little bit of everything including for example a few useful words and phrases without being remotely like a phrasebook. There is a map tucked into the back cover which is very useful but then again the really adventurous and off-roading should buy something more comprehensive. Lanzarote is a windsurfer destination but I had to look hard to see a brief mention of this. The more sporty and adventurous may find other guides cover this better. Seriously consider buying two different guides, as you will be spending hundreds on your holiday, so don't leave regretting what you didn't do. I will add a few footnotes after the holiday, but as I am not a travel writer please don't expect me to cover everything in the book. The weather thus far in England has been pretty wet and gloomy, so I am hoping for some relaxation and sunshine. Whereever you decide to go on holiday I hope you get everything you are seeking from your hard earned time in the sunshine.
33 Comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 November 2012
This was a handy book to have and there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice around, however although there were restaurant recommendations in the book, the map of the town we were staying in was so vague that none of the streets we needed to find in order to go to the recommended restaurants were on there. We only managed to find one in the end, but it was a great recommendation and the best meal we had on the island. Other recommendations such as the Papagayo beaches were spot on, although it didn't mention that you have to climb down a very steep unmade path in order to get to the (beautiful) bays and that anyone not steady on their feed would struggle to make it. We had a baby buggy and two children under three, all their swimming gear, towels, buckets and spades etc and without help from bystanders we would never have got down to the beach. This is important information so should really be mentioned. I would still recommend this book to others, with reservations.
on 11 May 2012
I was a bit unsure of buying this as had never heard of Marco Polo guides, but I'm really glad I did. It is jam-packed with loads of info about Lanzarote, and has some insider tips that look really useful, as well as a removable map. And for the price, what more can you ask for?! I can't wait to take this book with me to Lanzarote next week.
When I go on holiday I like to get out and about and see the sights. I like to explore and experience the atmosphere of an unexplored area. It is always useful to get information before you go and a guide book is a great place to start. I always need a good map and so this book looked really appealing since it has information and a map.
However this was a disappointing purchase. If you are going to hire a car then this book and its map will be fairly useful. But if you are like me and need to walk and use local buses or coach then it has limited use.
First problem is the Map. It has the main roads on it if you are driving. No use to me. The town maps inside the cover are limited and do not show all the streets and that includes the ones the book tells you to go down. There are some fairly important locations which are not on the maps at all. Landmarks are not on the maps either. The town city maps have very few locations like bus station, hospitals public buildings or information centres to help get your bearings when walking.
The book recommends the best route to take but doesn’t take into account that some locations are so far away from each other that you have no chance of getting between them by foot. The book doesn’t even warn you of this.
For example we went to Arrecife. We wanted to visit the Castillo de San Jose, It tells you about it in the book. The book tells us that it is on high ground above and over looking the harbour. However it doesn’t say how to get to it, or what direction you need to go in. It isn’t even on the Map. There was no sign of it anywhere. We found it by asking locals. It was too far away to walk and we had to get a taxi.
The book has some fairly good info about the places (if you can find them) and there are some good pictures. There is info about restaurants and places to eat.
My advice is do not bother with this book. Instead buy a cheaper guide book and get a proper map with ground level streets on it. There are a number of free maps in various locations around the island too so do not waste your money here.
on 5 May 2014
Whenever I go on vacation, I always try to read up on my holiday destination beforehand - history, geography, culture etc. I know that a lot of this information is available online these days, so I've made a little ritual of reading a travel guide in the plane on the way there. Writing this review as I've returned from my holiday, I can tell you that the book is sitting here on my desk and still has the sand from the beach in the pages - so it definitely did get used out there!

The book I bought is the paperback - not the Kindle version.
What made me decide to buy the book was the fact that it had a map neatly tucked in the back page. The map is very good quality, and the plastic pouch strong so it won't break off after getting the map out a few times. Another positive is the size - smaller than A5 and not too big to carry around in your hand bag.

As the book covers all of the island, there is naturally limited information and each individual resort, but there are a few recommendations in regards to where to stay, where to eat, what to see. Some of the information about our resort was out of date (the latest night clubs), but this is inevitable and what is in / out can change within a matter of weeks.

All in all, a good buy which will get you into the right mood for your vacation. If you are planning to rent a car or hike, the map is excellent and good value for money.
on 25 June 2012
A Guide for £2.47 delivered ? yes you read that right and after reviewing other books on google and amazon went with this,can't believe how thorough this hand held guide is and for throw away money,cover price on back of book states £6.99 so what have you got to lose.....worth every penny and more,I'd be happy to pay £5 for this without thinking about it.....now the cats out of the bag ha ha

I usually go with the AA guides but this is better....

Any bigger and you wouldn't to take it out with you, any smaller and you wouldn't be able to read it so size is spot on, can it be improved....answer yes could do a few more translations to help you out....an absolute no brainer and first class delivery service.
on 28 July 2012
Very Informative book. Our first trip to Lanzarote, and found this little book very useful. Also had a map tucked at the back which was handy to find your way around.
We are travelling to Tenerife in a few weeks and had hoped to get the same guide for that island, but unfortunately it will not be printed till October 2012.
We have therefore purchased an alternative guide but this is not as detailed as the Marco Polo one.
on 17 December 2013
I bought this as I was looking for information on Lanzarote to take with me on a long weekend away. This was first all-inclusive trip, as someone who's usually an independent traveller, but still wanted some reliable, unbiased info on this island of places to explore and activities to join.

This was a concise and informative guide that in hindsight would have been very helpful when deciding beforehand WHICH town to base ourselves in! It provided some good tips and an overview of the main towns. At this price, I thought that this was very good value and my 4* rating takes this into account. It may be particularly valuable for those who intend to hire a car as instructions were more thorough on this basis and significantly less so for those who were relying on public transport with the odd taxi.

However, I might find that the information is rather brief if I wished to stay here a week or more, and do things besides staying in the hotel or beaching it. The info helped us to choose a day group tour, which was a plus, but I didn't agree that the 45 min volcano journey on the bus was a highlight (perhaps because I'd been to Tenerife before?). I did agree though that the lava cave, Cuerda de los verdes, with its secret to Lanzarote was a highlight! Overall, the 'insider tips' were good, and I recommend the Sunday Teguise market to be excellent for those who like unique local crafts at very reasonable prices.

Overall, I'd recommend this book for those wanting a good, concise guide that would fit well with hand luggage for a few days at a good price. I'd also recommend it for helping you decide which area to stay in. If you were intending to walk in Lanzarote, I think it'd complement a book called 'Walks in Lanzarote' very well.
on 19 June 2013
I wanted a small guide book for Lanzarote which would fit easily into a pocket or bag. This fitted the bill and although not an in depth guide book was more than adequate for a holiday on this small island. The one really useful thing, and something I would welcome in other more expensive guide books, was the "insider tip" which suggested either an alternative point at a suggested site, or more usefully money saving tips, for example the Visitor Cenre for Timanfaya National Park, which was free entrance and offered a wealth of information on volcanoes and also a simulation of a volcano, which was useful before driving back to the National Park itself for the bus tour. It also suggested a walk past the Papagayo Hotel to three beautiful beaches instead of using the car park, which was another saving. I would thoroughly recommend this Marco Polo guide book.
on 19 October 2016
This is a very good travel guide. We are visiting Lanzarote for the second time next year and wanted a guide that gives us the best places to visit on the Island. It is well illustrated with maps also. It was delivered earlier than expected and was in pristine condition. Would definitely recommend this guide.