on 24 April 2013
I took two maps with us for our La Palma walking adventures; La Palma Tour & Trail and Freytag & Berndt La Palma. At home I thought the larger Freytag & Berndt (30,000 scale) would be the best being so much bigger than the Tour & Trail (40,000 scale) although both had similar levels of detail, the Tour & Trail having more highlighted walking routes but less beaches.
On La Palma we soon found the Tour & Trail easily the most useful. Freytag & Berndt is just too big to use in the hire car if it needed refolding, also too big to use on the walking trails where it is difficult to fold to the section you need and it doesn't like the folding soon coming apart at the folds, and it is too big when unfolded to handle in any breeze, plus its paper and not waterproof.
We soon settled on the Tour & Trail which is more compact, easily folds to the section you want to use and when you fold it back again its just like new, and it is waterproof. At the end of two weeks it showed no sign of wear, unlike the Freytag & Berndt which had split at the folds and had stretched where it had got wet - expect rain some days.
Both maps are pretty good for detail but outdoors the Tour & Trail is a clear winner.
5 people found this helpful
on 29 June 2017
Wrong item.not complete
on 20 February 2015
Poor on any relevant detail
on 2 March 2015
I like the restaurants being marked
on 19 April 2013
Very useful map, a must if driving or walking round La Palma.
Unfortunately most walks are not circular so not so good if travelling by car.
on 16 March 2013
Very useful map for walking in La Palma showing all the footpaths etc. Very large scale so a lot of detail
on 28 September 2013
I just returned from La Palma and used the Freytag and Berndt map, 1:30,000 scale. I liked the detail a lot. I also looked at other reviews for this map here on Amazon, and saw that someone else preferred the La Palma Tour and Trail map (1:40,000 scale). I had a copy of each of these, and my preference in the car and on the trail was for the Freytag and Berndt(F&B)map. So I guess it shows that each person has their own preference. I would agree that the F&B map is fragile - mine developed a tear after just one day along one of the folds. However, I then 'sellotaped' every seam, on both sides of the map, and it lasted two weeks and I brought it home with me. Meanwhile, the La Palma Tour and Trail map remains unused by me in the accommodation we stayed in on the island.
on 27 February 2010
We had the sunflower guide to La Palma Landscapes of La Palma and El Hierroand it recommended this map. Given the forest fires and landslides in the southern area it was essential for helping us with routefinding on the local sunflower walks as the paths were badly eroded in places and waymarks were not always clear. In addition due to transport disruption (the main road in the west was closed) it enabled us to find some additional walks in the area
3 people found this helpful