Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 26 November 2012
This was a lovely book to read.

This is the story of `The Little Witch' - she's 127 years old (which is quite young for a Witch we are told!) but she's got problems; she's been told by the Witch Sisterhood that she's a bad Witch and must be much better if she's to join the Coven and midnight celebrations. The problem is; she thinks being a bad Witch is doing bad spells and stuff, and so you guessed it; she starts to be a `good' Witch thinking she's much better!

There are several adventures broken up into sections telling of various delightful and enchanting stories of how she helps people - all very different and interesting.

This is a really lovely book with lots of pictures/illustrations in the style of simple drawings. They're very clear and detailed, and I love the picture on page 59 which is my favourite - I did not think a simple drawing could be so vibrant! In many ways, this book is quite unique.

I love story-book Witches, and although this goes against type, (I normally prefer the traditional `wicked' story-book type Witch) this role-reversal did not diminish my enjoyment of the novel.

A very good read with delightful cover artwork.
on 12 September 2015
I read this book in German when I was a child. I was so happy that it is available in English. I bought it for my daughters. They liked the book too but felt that at 11 almost 12 they were maybe a little too old for this book. They did say that, if they had been younger they would have liked it more.
on 12 July 2014
I grew up with this book. It is amazing and it is a pity that it is nearly unknown in the English speaking world. I got the whole family enjoying it now.
on 22 February 2013
I bought it as a gift and it brought back the fondest childhood memories. I had to read it all again before I could give it away. The English version is intended for German school kids learning English, so it has the translation of some key words at the bottom of each page. Apart from that it seems to be a straight translation of the German original, including the lovely illustrations.
on 22 October 2010
Although aspects of the text are slightly off putting (it is essentially written as a study text with highlighted words and translations in it)and some of the English translation is a bit odd, my 5 year old daughter absolutely loved it just as I did at that age. A charming and gentle collection of tales introducing the concept of good and bad with humour greatly appreciated by the younger listener.
on 6 February 2016
Loved this. Although paperback edition, the front cover was the same as the hard back cover of my childhood.
on 10 April 2016
Some words are in bold and there is translation to german for them at the end of each chapter....
on 4 March 2015
i love it its the best book ever
on 27 January 2016
All good! Would buy again!