on 17 June 2009
I wonder whether this book has been republished under another name - it is so useful, and I have recommended it to so many people, that it is a real shame it is difficult to get hold of!

The book works on the principle that the majority of what is spoken and written uses relatively few words. Therefore it concentrates on building your vocabulary through themed lists giving translated examples of usage - prioritised into your first 1,000 words (the most commonly used) and your second 1,000.

This means you learn not only the common nouns and verbs but all those mystifying little words that you can tend to gloss over a bit.

Of all the German books I have tackled this has been the best to boost my confidence and cement my knowledge. It's quite a good format for using on the bus, too - laid out into two columns, so that it is easy to test yourself.
on 7 September 2009
I agree with cookie monster's review. This book and the excellent German Grammar in a nutshell was enough to help me get 96% on the official Zertifikat Deutsch exam in Germany. Focussing on the core words first gets you up to speed on reading and wrtiting in the quickest possible time. No brainer...get this book!!
VINE VOICEon 26 May 2013
This workbook perfectly complements Langenscheidt's German Basic Vocabulary. As one reviewer states, it is hard to get hold of. I had to get a secondhand one from the USA, and it cost me £32. I find this puzzling, as the Basic Vocabulary is easy to buy, and of course a lot cheaper. Basic German Vocabulary: A Learners Dictionary divided into subject categories with example sentences (Langenscheidt Reference). I am using it as an extra resource for the Open University course in German I am studying. The amount of vocabulary actually goes up to 4000 words, divided into 2 pathways, 1-2000, and 2000-4000. They work so well together, and I particularly like the fact that it is easy to dip in and out of, and pick topics at random. The special benefit for me is that each word to learn is contained within an actual sentence, so it is not only the word itself that is learnt, but its context with syntax and grammar. I have learnt many of these sentences by rote, and I have found this a great way to improve my vocabulary quickly. Along with the Basic Vocabulary, they both can't replace any language course as such, but perfectly complementary. Highly recommended