Customer reviews

Die verlorene Ehre der Katharina Blum
Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 April 2013
This book changed my life. If I had read this when I was supposed to read it as part of my first year german literature course at university I wouldn't be where I am today. But instead, I decided to drop german and switch to business studies and changed the whole course of my life. Now, thirty-five years later, after I bought my Kindle Paperwhite, I thought it would be a good opportunity to catch up on what I'd missed and find out what all the fuss was about back in 1974. And, after the recent press scandals in the UK and the Leverson Enquiry into illegal phone tapping by News International, I find, not much to my surprise, that hardly anything has changed. Naughty journalists. You can watch the original german movie too, easily found on Youtube. Powerful novella by one of Germany's best-known 20th-century authors.
on 12 November 2002
I enjoyed this book, and it gave a new slant on the film.
Mostly I enjoyed the style of writing, as a rather informal but objective report. It could be engaging and personal without focussing too much on the love-story aspect of the book. The main downside though, is the occasional tendency to be a little disorganised in story progression.
Having both seen the film and read the book, I would recommend both to others as each plays to the advantages of its medium.
The more important messages of the book (How violence develops, and the dangers of the tabloid press) have not, in my opinion, become irrelevant with age. Rather, they are all the more relevant since the beginning of the 'war against terrorism'
This intelligent, thoughtful and at times humorous book is well worth a read
on 27 December 2012
A well known story by a good author which my wife read in German and thoroughly enjoyed for language and style
on 16 May 2015
Many thanks for this book. Received in perfect condition and at a very good price.
on 18 March 2016
Arrived in time and as described
on 17 August 2014