Customer reviews

TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 23 March 2011
I was an Illustrator for a few years, drifted off into other work for many years and decided to return to the profession. Unfortunately, as you may know already, knowledgable, helpful, advice either in an Art School setting or out there in the world is thin on the ground. If you're in that position, then buy this book.

This book covers both the why, the aethetic, the how, technique, and most importantly if you're anywhere near having sorted the first two; how to market yourself. There is tons of practical advice on portfolios, presenting - and it's all delivered from a professional point of view and it rings true.

This is not a book for sunday painters. This is a book for the professional and the aspiring professional and I can't recommend it more highly. Oh, and if you're saying "yeah..." google me.
on 16 December 2013
I bought this as I'm just getting into illustration after a lengthy sojourn from art and I really liked it. It's easy to understand and something I can pick up and put down as needed. If you're a student or someone above beginner/intermediate level (i.e. professional) then this might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it was perfect for me.
on 5 February 2014
A very useful indeed - it covers off everything you need to know really, there's literally a gem of advice on every page.
on 16 June 2015
Excellent book, using on degree course Illustration BA (Hons)
on 4 September 2015
LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE.....this book. Sent pretty quickly in the post.
on 22 June 2013
I wanted a book that provided me with an overview of the illustration process as I am considering studying it as an option in my creative arts degree. It does provide a good understanding of the subject, and I also like the way that it is structured graphically - using box outs and diagrams which add interest and it is actually a very lovely book to look at. For me, as I am a very visual person, the pictures and structure really helps me to learn and keep me motivated. It gave me what I needed - an overview of the subject. However, if you already have studied illustration and are a professional I am not sure how much this book will offer you- hence 4 stars rather than 5.
on 3 August 2017
Great book! Bought for an upcoming course at uni. Also great quality and arrived in good time!
on 9 September 2013
My parents bought me this book as it was recommended by my course at University and found it interesting straight from the beginning. The book is divided into chapters that cover each area of becoming an illustrator, the lifestyle that one leads and the degree of dedication an Illustrator must input to become successful. I highly recommend this book if you are interested in following the Illustration path, as to an extent it opens your eyes to what you might let yourself into.
on 5 January 2013
I had to buy it for school, but I don't think it is that great. Right off the bat the guy explains how to read the book, which seemed really confusing.. As an illustrator, shouldnt he know how to design this book so it is easy to read without explanation? And the different font sizes across different pages confuse me, too.. and the colors. It's a really weird book..
on 6 October 2007
As an new Illustration student I have found this book a brilliant reference. It is jam packed with interviews with illustrators from every field and work by these illustrators and many many more. It is full of useful legal tips, info on how to prepare a good portfolio and general background on illustration. Facinating for any illustrator studying.