Customer reviews

on 17 August 2010
What a book - great content combined with a well structured layout and useful images! The content simplifies what is a complex job; even those new to film-making can completely understand the theory and practicality behind the financial and scheduling of production. The layout and images, combined with the content, left me feeling relaxed and confident with the subject. I felt like I was finishing this book with a wealth of knowledge and understanding; this gave me a lot of confidence.

There were two elements which really impressed me about this title. I really enjoyed reading the case studies of producers such as Andrew Eaton, who produced amongst others, The Road to Guantanamo. I found these experiences insightful and interesting. I felt truly inspired about film-making after reading these accounts. Secondly, I found the way the author combined dealing with financial and managerial aspects of being producer impressive; it is clearly a tough but rewarding role and for someone to consider the practicalities of it, as they do in this text, is refreshing. If you are interested in film-making and/or a media/film student this is an essential read.
on 1 September 2010
The book is laid out in an easy to understand way. There are a number of sections which you can refer to depending on what you intend to produce: a film, documentary etc. It's packed with information eg. gives definitions on the different industry roles, talks about high profile people in the industry including actors and directors, as well as tips for the inexperienced on each stage of the production process. There are also many photographs including screenshots from film editing software, as well as links to helpful websites. I think it's a very useful book for any budding producer.

---->JR
on 11 December 2009
This book was recommended to me by my University and to my amazement the author was one of my own lecturers. So I decided to pick up. This book was really helpful for me, it explained the Producers job very well. I did not have to read through hundreds of pages to get to where I wanted and the illustrations really helped. Would recommend this book to anyone who wants to know about producing or get into producing. I am a Student, but I have produced a lot of short films and there was a lot I have learned. The Producer's job is the hardest to understand and this book simplifies it very well.
on 30 November 2010
I would really recommend this book to anyone interested in producing or simply understanding the work of a producer. Well illustrated and giving concise information on what is required, I frequently dip into the book and constantly find new information.
on 9 July 2014
Very useful- takes an aspiring producer at any stage back to basics and though all expectations of their role on set, be it drama, documentary or television, complete with advice from industry experts.
on 20 August 2014
Just Perfect!
on 11 February 2011
An indispensable guide for anyone working in TV production. Well written and easy to follow. A must have for all budding producers