Customer reviews

on 17 August 2010
This book is such a useful tool for any illustrator. Although not a technical guide, the projects are a great base to start from. I love having this book on my shelf as a title I can go back to for ideas and sources. I followed this title with Illustration by Alan Male, which supplemented this title once I had a slightly better grounding in illustration. I loved the selection of illustrations in the book, and found them truly inspirational. The book provides a broad spectrum from the whimsical to the oblique; with a useful glossary, illustration dialogues, reference material and easy-to-read text, ensuring the utility of this book.
on 26 June 2009
Yes, in this installment of the basics of illustration you get more lists of sub areas of headings for you to go and follow up with more research and help. So not really as useful as a more technical guide to illustration.

very good I imagine for those new to illustration and in need of cunnning ideas to make their work stand out as, once again there's a vast array of excellent examples of artist's work beautifuly laid out with a fair number of interesting "in their own words".

The project ideas are good and could be a good tool to get past a lack of inspiration for peoples own work.