Customer reviews

on 5 August 2010
What a buy! I was first attracted to the book because of the price. Browsing my local book shop I found that some of the books on typography were too bulky and completely out of my student price range. Although it is compact in size I've found this book contains as much, if not more, information than some of the other larger books. It also means I can easily carry it about with me while I'm dashing between the library, work and lectures.
This is the second title I've used in the AVA Academia Basics Design range and they are such a find, I find myself going back to them again and again. They use excellent `up to the minute' case studies which are insightful and aid my understanding of the theory. I think they work well as examples for students and also for the professional. It's really useful to see how different typographies have been used for different projects and businesses in the `real' world; from road signs to billboards, the Salvation Army to a celebration of Salvador Dali.
The book works well visually. The use of coloured pages means the typographic examples really stand out and it is clear that the author and/or the publisher have considered how important the visual element of the book is. I suppose this may seem obvious with a design book, but I was overwhelmed with just how good the book was both aesthetically and academically.
on 18 August 2010
I had been looking for a book that would teach me the fundamentals of type. With this book - I thought I had found my answer. Unfortunately this was not the case.
Although the book is informative, the way it is written is hard to digest. In addition to this it doesn't give me what I wanted. Which was to walk away knowing how to dissect type and understand how to structure and use it in a variety of medias and mediums. Especially as a reference in conjuction with some software like InDesign. I'd recomend reading it and having a good flick through - but I'm not sure it's necessarily worth buying.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 October 2014
a good all-rounder book about typography. if you are a newbie or don't want to spend too much money on books, this one covers it all. Not particularly interesting for experts in Type Design. It's a good book for Design teachers and students.
on 4 April 2013
All of the books that I have got from this series are all amazing and very helpful at explaining things in a way that is simple and fun.
on 12 May 2010
As an old 'lead`handcompositor I found this book useful - well written and well- produced
on 7 December 2014