on 26 May 2013
After reading this book i had to get an lc-a just so i could play with making images like kev funny tho i met him the day after i fin this book and he is a top fella :)
on 14 May 2015
Really great book with useful tips and tricks to getting the right shot!
on 9 December 2008
This is a truly wonderful little pocket sized book, which is sure to rekindle anybody's passion for photography - whether film or digital be your thing. The author is a true ambassador for the Lomographic way of life - he carries a camera everywhere he goes, and shoots anything and everything - but his flair for this kind of hip-shooting photography is astounding, and the fact that he's willing to pass on his secrets should be lauded. The tips and advice given in the book are sometimes obvious, sometimes profund - but always useful. The photos used to illustrate the points are wonderful. Plus there's a nice concise section at the back of the book going into more detail about cameras, processing, online galleries, etc.

The only downside to Hot Shots that I can see at the moment, is that it's going to increase the cost of second hand 35mm compacts on the auction sites - as everybody rushes off to collect them, and follow the author's lead!
on 22 April 2009
This is a really good book for those people out there who love to take photos but can't seem to get the shot they want. There are some excelent tips on shooting angles and positions as well as lighting. Above all though, this book makes you want to get out there an take photos because it instills a sense of fun.
on 3 October 2008
Kevin Meredith/LomoKev has got an incredible eye for an image. In this book he provides detailed and inspiring instructions on how to use a huge variety of photography techniques, each accompanied by stunning examples from his own portfolio.

Even without the interesting descriptions of how each image was taken, technical data and notes on why it works (something you don't often see provided or explained by the original photographer), this book would still be worth buying, if only for the quality of the images within. The print quality is particularly good, too - really brings out proper vibrant lomoish colours and contrast, which is so important to this artform and the author's particular use of it.

I'd recommend this book for anyone who's got a camera - however small and rubbish - and who wants to take their photography to the next level. This book shows (where others don't) that owning sophisticated technology isn't nearly as important as having a creative, fun, unorthodox (and even rule-breaking) approach to composition, lighting, processing and subject matter.

The thing that really makes this book about photography work where other similar ones don't is that all the approaches, techniques and composition ideas are explained and illustrated so simply and beautifully, you find yourself looking at each page and thinking "Yeah...I could do that!" With the help of this book, and inspired by Kevin Meredith's fabulous examples, you probably can, and will.
on 6 February 2012
Born in the early seventies, I got my first Polaroid age 10 and a Pentax film camera soon after. There ended the extent of my analogue catalogue. As part of the generation that grew up with fast moving consumer technology, I embraced the change with ease and became a fierce devotee of the digital camera, which provided instant gratification and spectacular results. I got all the best lenses for my DLSR and never thought I'd look back. Playing with various camera apps downloaded to the iPhone camera seemed like a bit of gimmicky fun and I searched for an iPhone app book with various camera apps explained. It was perusing various titles on Amazon that I came across Hot Shots. It promised colourful, imaginative point and snap inspiration which I thought might provide good ideas as to composition and abstraction which I could try with the apps and iPhone. I took it on the tube with me one morning and missed my stop for work. It has been my bag companion since, ever reminding me about the wonderful world of analogue photography that I'd barely gotten to know before I grew up and grew out of it.

The content of the book certainly applies across the board to all forms of photography, but there is something special about knowing these superb, colourful and usually quirky images were produced using a camera with good old fashioned film. It has improved the way I see and shoot with both digital and analogue and encouraged me to embrace the imperfections of an image I may otherwise have dismissed and electronically trashed. The book in very simple and easy to read terms shows you the rules of photography and also teaches you how/when to break them, allowing for surprising images. Hot Shots put the fun and the love of the quirky and unexpected back into photography and it will make you want to get back out and shoot, any camera, any weather.
on 28 November 2008
Amazing book...I've always enjoyed taking photos, imagined I had a "good eye" and been interested in the "artistic" side of photography, though I'd never consider myself a photographer...this book is ideal for me!
Not only is it full of brilliant photos (which, as the man above says, would make it worth the cover price!) but the simple, clear and direct details on how the photo's were taken, very well written in language that everyone can understand, are also brilliant!
I'm buying a pile as christmas presents for everyone from my 14 year old niece with he GCSE art project to complete to my recently retired dad looking for a new hobby...I know it will inspire both of them!
on 15 May 2011
i bought this book in order to help give me some fresh ideas about how to take my photography further. I am an enthusiast photographer and just wanted something different compared to what other camera books are offering. This book presents pictures on one side, accompanied by a description about why it works. It also provides shooting information and camera settings used - to help give you an idea of how to get the shot for yourself. Small book with lots of information and easy to carry around in your camera bag to provide inspiration.
on 15 October 2009
Even tough I already knew almost all the photos in this book, from the author's Flickr account, the explanations and info behind each photo are great. This is a great way to improve your photographic skills where it's most important: composition, colors, creativity in general.

Also nice to see how one can get great photos from simple cameras :)
VINE VOICEon 21 September 2010
I own quite a few photography books, but already this is my favourite. It's a lovely compact size with big bright inspiring photos and short simple explanations about how they were taken. It makes clever photos seem very achievable without bogging you down with the too much science. I would definitely recommend it!