Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle New Album - Foo Fighters Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now

on 28 July 2002
A great book for people looking for inspirations for portrait photography work. It's the sort of book that wants you to reach for your camera and try a few set-ups out. Ideal for people like myself who have just completed a short studio/location course, and are comfortable with the basic principles, who want to adventure out from the run of the mill portrait lighting set-ups.
On a similar note, also a great book for teachers of photography, wanting to demonstrate a variety of portrait lighting set-ups, to their students.
Each full page photograph is accompanied by a page showing positions of lights / reflectors used, relative to the subject being photographed, along with brief technical info and a short description of the main aspects of the shot.
Equipment used ranges from the sun and single light sources, to multi studio flash head setups (10 in one instance). Lots of large polystyrene bounces being used so get down to your builder's for some sheets of polystyrene insulation material.
There's an equipment glossary at the start, which is useful if you aren't familier with basic studio lighting terminology.
I feel it's let down ever so slightly by the fact that although it gives exposure details for some of the shots, there is no indication of what power of light is being used, or an indication of the lighting ratios being used. Although a lot of this can be worked out by trial and error, I think it would useful to know beforehand whether or not four heads are really neccessary to wash out a simple background or seven softboxes to provide a soft front light.
A very worthwhile book to have if you are into portrait photography.
on 18 January 2005
I have found this book so far to be a very interesting and informatic read. I have found it useful and very helpful when using my studio, but i fear that is the only reason I feel it is good, because i actually have the equipment to do the stuff inside of it. Some of the pictures inside need 6 or more studio flash's with softboxs etc, and most people do not own that. If you do own that, this book is the best avalible, but if not im afraid it makes no more than a very good tea-table book of some nice art.
on 13 June 2017
OK
on 19 September 2012
I have just started studying photography at college, and whilst browsing the vast collection of books in the library, I came across this wee gem. Infact I loved it so much I bought it when I got home.

It's great!

It basically gives you different portraits from various photographers and how they achieved the desired effects. Each picture comes with a diagram of how the studio is set up, aswell as comment,s / tips from the photographers them selves.

I would say for the price you can't afford not to buy this book if your into studio photography :)
on 28 April 2016
Excellent read and so useful during my uni studies.
on 26 August 2015
I own many, many photography related books and this is one of the best of the How To's
on 13 March 2007
there are some great pics in this book and it shows where to place your studio lights. the lighting set-ups cover everything from a simple on camera flash to several studio lights.

There is no technical information in this book, so if you want to know how to set up your lights you'll be somewhat dissapointed.
on 25 January 2016
very good
on 7 September 2009
I needed a book that looked at different ways of posing and this book gave me exactly what I wanted. With each image it shows how the lighting was done, which means I could copy and or slightly tweak to suit my needs. Just what I wanted.
on 30 June 2009
As noted elsewhere, the book looks well presented with lighting diagrams for each picture. But, if you look at the catchlights and the shadows, you can clearly see that the lighting diagrams are inaccurate and the descriptions wrong. This alone is enough to make me feel like I've been conned out of my money.

There is also not much substance for what each portrait/image is giving - is this a dynamic portrait, is it a intimate portrait, what makes this an intimate portrati? The book answers none of these questions which is what I was hoping to get out of something like this. I could easily look through Vogue or any other magazine for a list of photos.

The txt focuses on gear (cameras and film) rather than the reasons for the image and what makes a a type of image.

Not recommended.