on 24 October 2014
Excellent- far more useful than a thick textbook conjugating a list of verbs- this book shows you the patterns of how to conjugate and so this is how one can conjugate so many verbs in a thin volume like this. To conjugate a verb (it can be confusing at first) look it up in the index toward the back half of the book- there will be a number to the right. This is not a page number but the number in the book that groups all verbs like it together- for example all regular -er verbs are number 6 and the page with number 6 will show you how to conjugate this type. All verbs with a number 47 are conjugated the same and the page with the number 47 will show you how and give an example. Hard to explain but once one works it out it proves an invaluable tool for learning French conjugation.
6 people found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 14 February 2014
It seems ridiculous that such a small book can provide such huge assistance as far as conjugating French Verbs is concerned; a major problem area to anyone trying to learn the language. But it is so user friendly that it does so with ease. It takes an in-depth look at 82 different verbs, and their varying tenses, then provides a list of 12,000 verbs at the back of the book linking each one to the relevant original which offers similar endings. This such a large amount of information to be crammed into such a small space. The book is designed to last, the print is clear and the use of colour is of great help to the user. It being small and light, it is so easy to carry about. Highly recommend!
2 people found this helpful
on 20 November 2013
Although I studied French many years ago, I can't remember all the verbs or their spellings. This is a great resource now I have gone back to study myself. It gives almost every verb in the French language, indexed alphabetically at the back, showing all tenses and rules etc. It is compact and lightweight so easily portable. My only criticism is that the typeface is rather small (hence its portability) and not all verbs are shown in full ie. you have to follow the rule for the template verb. However, I am very glad I found it and it is worth every penny.
on 9 October 2015
Brilliant book. I live in France and this is a much needed book for my lessons. It does come across as confusing when you first look inside, but if you understand the different tenses (past, present, future etc) and have been taught some French grammar then this book is for you. If you've not had the luxury of this there is a chapter at the beginning explaining and you should be able to use this book better. It may just take a week to digest this chapter.
One person found this helpful
on 16 September 2014
Had to send this back. I thought it would be suitable for a beginner but with no English translation of the verbs it wasn't at all helpful. Perhaps it would suit an A level student or even someone studying for GCSE but definitely not for beginners. The print is very small and it's overwhelming for a beginner.
3 people found this helpful
on 16 February 2016
Much better than my old pocket verb book, which gave limited conjugations of a few key verbs and expected the user to work out which pattern to follow for other verbs. This has a long index (almost half the surprisingly little book) which redirects to the correct verb, and is very easy to use. For those less familiar with French grammar (though, I suspect, not those who are not familiar with *any* grammar) may well find the introductory grammar section quite useful.
2 people found this helpful
on 10 April 2017
I was a beginner at French when I ordered this; I was proficient at an intermediate level by the time it was delivered, scuffed. That being said Bescherelle is an essential tool for learning French.
on 9 February 2014
A thin text, but does what it claims. I bought this along with 501 French Verbs which is much thicker and for me more useful due to its added content. That said if I needed to pack the book I would be packing this Bescherelle as it is compact, hardbound and thin.
3 people found this helpful
on 2 May 2018
There is a lot in the book, that is good, but not particularly easy to use. It may be that I need to use it more and get used to it
on 2 May 2018
Really useful book. Most if my French class have this. Great for looking up verb forms.