on 5 August 2014
Superb! I can listen to this as I read along with the book.

I will say I personally did not like the way the book is read is read in French, I am getting used to it however as it is a good tool for me to improve my French!

I have noticed the some small phrases or sentences are omitted in this listening version, sometimes it is clear why, others not, however so far no large passage been omitted.

Also, if you are a beginner in French I do not recommend this as the story is read for the most part quickly and you would have difficulty keeping up! I have been studying French for years and I still am at University so it is ok for me but I have found that some parts of this are read out very quickly whereas other parts are read out at a slower or normal pace.
on 16 July 2017
Nicely produced edition bought for my Potter-mad teenage daughter to help her improve her French. As she can practically recite the books in English, this should be a useful and painless teaching aid for her. We had looked at other editions of this book in French last time we were in France, but this one is far nicer.
on 13 July 2017
This was an enjoyable read in French .
on 1 September 2017
Fantastic way to improve my french as an a level student. I love the book in English and this french version has taught me a lot of new vocabulary. For example I'll never forget that the french call magic wands baguettes.
on 28 April 2017
As an A level french student, I have found reading this book really useful. As I know the books inside out, it is a good place to start reading French, as I don't need to look up every word- I can usually figure out the meaning. It's slow progress, but I'd definitely recommend trying to read this if you're learning French- it'll improve your skills so much!
If you found this review helpful, please click the button below :)
on 9 March 2012
I find it helpful for improving my rusty French to read a book in French while comparing it with the same book in English. I didn't feel, as another reviewer thought, that the French version had been abridged, but the French meaning does not always precisely follow the English. It nevertheless affords a useful opportunity to observe how French differs from English, and also how it can at times be remarkably similar. I have subsequently amended my rating to 3 stars because, reading on, I was reminded of the poor print quality of the book, with parts of letters missing, which makes it more difficult to read considering it is in a foreign language.
on 6 July 2010
A brilliant introduction into the French world of Harry Potter. Considering that I'm an A level student, I didn't find the book too difficult, but for those below this level it may turn out to be a chore rather than just reading pleasure. A note for those studying GCSE or AS level, the book uses the passé simple which can be a bit disconcerting at first but soon you'll be reading it and understanding it without realizing :)

A definite must buy!
on 12 June 2008
Harry Potter is an exciting story about young witches and wizards at school, and a story that every child knows, and many adults too. Therefore, reading the French translation is a great way to improve your skills at reading in French. Obviously the story is better in the original english, but the French translation is still incredibly well thought out. Words unique to the books are translated by new words that help to capture the feeling of the original, and there are also many examples of idiomatic expressions that you would otherwise never know until you were at a more advanced level. Reading in a foreign language helps you to become confident on your own in the language, and the French translation of Harry Potter is a great way to get started. One word of warning, many verbs are in the past historic, a tense that is only found in literature and not taught until A-level, however, this is more to do with the fact that it is rarely seen rather than because it's difficult, it is in fact pretty simple and so you should find you pick it up while reading.
on 5 June 2008
I can't be the only person to have a teenager who has no interest in their french lessons at school. They all love Harry Potter and this is just such a wonderful way to encourage a slight interest in the french language for stubborn teenagers. My daughter almost knows the HP books off by heart which helps enormously with translating the French version. Now French is not some boring subject that she has no interest in but something that she reads without being asked.
on 22 April 2006
I bought this book as a way to get more of a feel for the french language and to pick up some vocab. Although many of the words seem irrelevant to everyday life - cape (cloak) hibou (owl) etc, i have picked up loads of verbs that will come in handy during conversation and are good to know. The book is written quite colloquially, which means that you can pick things up that you perhaps would not be taught in school.

I found it startlingly easy to read and could quite easily have got through the whole book without a dictionary (if you gloss over what you don't know you can still get the gist). However i looked up the words i didn't know so that i could learn them, but still found i was only checking 1-2 words per page, which surprised me.

Overall i would really recommend buying this book. It is a good way of improving your french and getting a 'feel' for the language. I have started to realise when my language just doesn't sound right even though it looks ok.